1997 Silverado wheel won't return to center

I have a 1997 Silverado fixer upper that I have been working on. The maintenance history on it is mostly unknown.

I have always had front end/steering issues. The one that is most vexing to me is the steering wheel will not return to center when turning. From what I understand this is usually due to the steering box being adjusted to tight. I have adjusted it looser, tighter and everywhere in between, still no change. Driving me nuts.

Have replaced many new parts in front:

New

Pittman arm

Idler arm

All tie rods

Steering shaft/rag joint

EVO sensor

4 new tires

new PS fluid

Front end alignment

Wheel bearings adjusted

Really don't want to spend $250 plus for a rebuilt gearbox only to have it not fix the issue.

Any ideas on this?? Tom

Beyond something being seriously out of whack with the caster (and you'd know it because it would be either very squirrelly or very lazy), it sounds like you've replaced everything but the box. Unfortuantely it probably is the culprit unless there is something dragging somewhere.

Does it actually turn easily and feel fine beyond not wanting to return to center? Does it return from one direction but not the other?

T
Beyond something being seriously out of whack with the caster (and you'd know it because it would be either very squirrelly or very lazy), it sounds like you've replaced everything but the box. Unfortuantely it probably is the culprit unless there is something dragging somewhere.

Does it actually turn easily and feel fine beyond not wanting to return to center? Does it return from one direction but not the other?
Turns easy and fine. No popping, groaning, binding or weird sounds. Tracks straight as an arrow down the highway. Will not return from either direction.

My first suspect would be the alignment. I know you said you had it aligned, but before you replace the gear, I’d have it looked at again.

My kids is lazy it was the gear box. We fixed that and put an aftermarket Rough Country steering stabilizer on it. 60 dollars 40 minutes to install. It helped a lot. 1997 Z71.

Check for insufficient caster or binding ball joints

What is the steering effort like?

Check for insufficient caster or binding ball joints

What is the steering effort like?
Steering is actually smooth and feels normal. Normal effort.
My kids is lazy it was the gear box. We fixed that and put an aftermarket Rough Country steering stabilizer on it. 60 dollars 40 minutes to install. It helped a lot. 1997 Z71.
Did you "adjust" the gearbox or buy a new one?

I have a 1997 Silverado fixer upper that I have been working on. The maintenance history on it is mostly unknown.

I have always had front end/steering issues. The one that is most vexing to me is the steering wheel will not return to center when turning. From what I understand this is usually due to the steering box being adjusted to tight. I have adjusted it looser, tighter and everywhere in between, still no change. Driving me nuts.

Have replaced many new parts in front:

New

Pittman arm

Idler arm

All tie rods

Steering shaft/rag joint

EVO sensor

4 new tires

new PS fluid

Front end alignment

Wheel bearings adjusted

Really don't want to spend $250 plus for a rebuilt gearbox only to have it not fix the issue.

Any ideas on this?? Tom
$176.99 @ Advance Auto. Buy it online...add to cart them enter RMN25 (25% off up to $50 max) as a promo code. Instant $50 off. Chose whichever store closest to you that has it in stock. The core is $200...refunded when they receive your old one.

I’d check alignment and make sure sometimes that does happen if the person aligning it forgot to center the wheel when doing it.

$176.99 @ Advance Auto. Buy it online...add to cart them enter RMN25 (25% off up to $50 max) as a promo code. Instant $50 off. Chose whichever store closest to you that has it in stock. The core is $200...refunded when they receive your old one.
Must be the New Math. From what I can see, you would be money ahead after core return, since the core return is worth more than the purchase price.

Thanks for all the replies and the links. Going to try to find a good front end shop for a look over before I spend any more money on this. I mean it's a 1997 Chevy, pretty old school setup.

I had a 1988 GMC Safari van. I replaced the idler arms with some off brand parts, twice. The steering would not center by itself. I then changed to Moog parts and it was much better. Not perfect, but acceptable. Just saying, brand of parts can make a difference.
Adjusting the steering did not help at all.

Back