1997 Ford F-150 tire recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 1997 F-150 with the 4.6L v-8 and automatic. It is primarily a work truck. Needs tires.

What I want from a tire for this truck is a comfortable and quiet ride. And long tread life, of course.

Right now, it has P255r/16 tires on it, I figure I'll run 245's since Discount Tire shows 235's as the stock size and 245's as optional.

Prices range from $651.73 for some Coopers that seem to get good reviews (Discoverer HT) to the Michelin LTX AT/2 at $956.23. These are out-the-door prices for a set of 4 including mounting, balancing, and exorbitant California sales tax. There are some for more money, but I'd really like to stay under $1000.

I'm not going to be off-roading, auto-crossing, :), drag-racing, etc., but I will be carrying some moderately heavy loads from time to time.

My 1998 came with 235's, but I have always run 255's. I think you may find that your particular model may have come from the factory with the 255's.

With 272K miles on my truck I have purchased my share of tires. I've had Coopers and various other brands I do not remember now. My last purchase was Michelins. Yes, they were expensive, but I am getting close to double the tread life I got off of whatever was on sale at NTW or Sears and the ride quality is the best yet. Plus, zero problems in the Texas rains, which is even better. The Michelins are probably going to go over 65K before they wear out and I long ago made up my mind to purchase another set when they do.

I recently bought some 'cheap' tires for my '85. They're Prodigy brand "made by Yokohama" (heh, so what's their point?). They ride smooth and quiet and have a pretty good tread depth. Got them at Discount.

Hankook tires are generally very smooth and quiet, and relatively light weight for a bit better mpg.

I would not expect neither of these tires to last over 40-50k or so, but you never know with tires. I am heavily biased against Cooper and would say either will outperform them. That's a little experience with a lot of opinion.
smile.gif

Those are my two top picks for budget tires. If I were going to get up into the bigger brand names, I'd go with the Michelins (but they tend to be HEAVY) or BFG's for durability, ride and life.

I would go with the 235's for comfort and efficiency over the 245's unless you just don't like the look of a narrower tire.

For my 2002 F-150 Supercab 4.6 I purchased from Discount Tire BFG Long Trail T/A Tours in P255/70R16 109T ORWL tires for $528, delivered free with no tax to NJ. Mounting and balancing added $112. These are long life great riding truck tires.

Even with sales tax on them in CA they still should be a good deal for a real good tire for less than the Michelin's. Plus I got a $60 rebate in addition for purchasing 4 BFG tires for Discount Tire at that time.

Whimsey

I'd go with the Michelin's personally. We run them on our Expeditions and they have been excellent. Very long lasting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back