1996 Ford Ranger oil/filter change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sticky topic
So, when you ask for advice, tell us about your car! The more details, the better. Here are the essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
3. Where you live
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems

1. 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 with 2.3L I4 "Lima" engine, 215,000 miles
2. Ford recommends a 5W-30 meeting Ford Specification WSS-M2C153-F, changed at a 5,000-mile / 6-month "normal schedule" or 3,000-mile / 3-month "severe duty schedule." Synthetic can be used, but "the engine oil and oil filter must still be changed according to the maintenance schedule."
3. Atlanta, GA, inside I-285
4. A little hard, with very occasional hauling
5. A mix between a 25-mile freeway commute (alternating between congested and 70 MPH) and 5-mile short city trips
6. No known problems. [Edit: at least with the engine. The rest of truck is pretty beat up, and the transmission has worn synchros.]

I use Valvoline NextGen Synthetic 5W-30 and the Fram Ultra XG8A filter, and so far my oil change interval has been 5,000 miles.

Based on what I've read here, I'm wondering if I'm being too conservative and/or wasting my money. Should I:

1. Keep doing what I'm doing
2. Extend the oil filter change interval to 10,000 miles (so as to only change it every other oil change)
3. Extend the oil change interval to 10,000 miles (I don't really want to do anything between 5K and 10K; I like round numbers)
4. Or do something else?

Also, I got a used oil analysis about a year ago at 200,000 miles, with the following results (I don't know how to attach the PDF):

ALUMINUM ....... 2
CHROMIUM ....... 1
IRON ........... 10
COPPER ......... 2
LEAD ........... 1
TIN ............ 3
MOLYBDENUM ..... 3
NICKEL ......... 1
MANGANESE ...... 1
SILVER ......... 0
TITANIUM ....... 0
POTASSIUM ...... 0
BORON .......... 4
SILICON ........ 9
SODIUM ......... 289
CALCIUM ........ 1907
MAGNESIUM ...... 8
PHOSPHORUS ..... 554
ZINC ........... 642
BARIUM ......... 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F .... 55.9
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C .... 9.03
Flashpoint in °F ......... 420
Fuel % ................... Antifreeze % ............. 0.0
Water % .................. 0.0
Insolubles % ............. 0.2
TBN ...................... 2.5

Last edited:
With 2.5 TBN remaining at 5k I don't think you should push to 10k.

I would recommend running the oil to 7500 miles, and the Fram Ultra just leave it in place for two changes for 15,000 miles.

Another thought, people seem to get better TBN retention from products like Mobil 1 High Mileage or even regular Mobil 1 5w30.

I get my oil on clearance and stock pile it so don't pay retail prices. But if I were You I would use the oil I could get best deal on, dino, blend or Syn. I think 5k isn't utilizing a synthetics potential but it's your money/vehicle. Fram Ultra are great filters and I've ran them for 2-3 oci with up to 14-15k miles and they looked great.
I might go for QS Defy or SuperTech and use a ultra more more than 1 oci, jmo

I like the NextGen Synthetic specifically because of the whole "50% recycled" part. (In general, I'd prefer to run either recycled or biodegradable (which I didn't know was certified for automobiles until just now) oil in all my engines. Unfortunately, my other cars are a VW TDI (which requires at least Rotella T6) and a Miata (which I'll certainly use synthetic in because I race it).

I, too, get my oil on clearance. I have about 3 gallons of NextGen Synthetic sitting around from when I stocked up last time (Black Friday at Pep Boys).

By the way: I just looked at that used oil analysis again, and I'd actually let the interval run a little longer than I meant to. That 2.5 TBN was at 6,400 miles.

2.5 TBN at 6,400 miles could certainly stretch to 10k but no guarantees. I think if you stepped up to Mobil 1 it would make the 10k easier. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: mrchaotica
I like the NextGen Synthetic specifically because of the whole "50% recycled" part. (In general, I'd prefer to run either recycled or biodegradable (which I didn't know was certified for automobiles until just now) oil in all my engines. Unfortunately, my other cars are a VW TDI (which requires at least Rotella T6) and a Miata (which I'll certainly use synthetic in because I race it).

I, too, get my oil on clearance. I have about 3 gallons of NextGen Synthetic sitting around from when I stocked up last time (Black Friday at Pep Boys).

By the way: I just looked at that used oil analysis again, and I'd actually let the interval run a little longer than I meant to. That 2.5 TBN was at 6,400 miles.

Since you have a stockpile of the Nextgen and your UOA is from that oil....my opinion is that you could easily take it to 7500 miles, and possibly 10000 miles depending on the results of your next UOA. I know you like even intervals (I do too) however that particular oil may not be up to it; so a gradual extension is indicated. Since you have so much, I would run it, and try to extend (with UOA) to your 10000, and if it doesn't make it, then you can switch to M1 or Amsoil and not worry at that distance.

You could always take a sample at 7500, leaving it in, in case it is still ok to continue;

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back