1996 D16Y7 Oil Burning help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1996 Honda Civic LX with D16Y7 & Auto Tranny, I took it to a trip to Morgantown, WV. 1500 mile round trip. Since the car was in a very hilly area, it drove mainly on high Rpms. Apparently the exhaust was rusted n it broke off in the middle on my way back. Got it repaired when I got back n I realized the PCV valve was actually disconnected from the engine, bought a new one from autozone n installed it, is OEM PCV better? I'm not sure if the PCV valve has anything to do with or the higher Rpms but now the car is burning 1 quart of oil every 500 miles, which seems to be headed towards clogged catalytic converter then 02 sensors. The car use to burn 0.3 quartz every 3k miles before the trip. What can be the cause?

There are no oil leaks have checked for it thoroughly, fuel injectors are brand new and all other maintenance was done 9k miles ago when I got the car. I had the compression tested before n after the trip n it was all in 180 to 190 except one cylinder was 165, the power of the engine is fantastic, but it idles rough sometimes n the compression test took 12-15 turnovers to stop jumping the needle on the compression tester, which a friend told me is a sign of bad compression rings. I have been reading a lot of BITOG about auto rx, would it help with the oil consumption? Why or why not?

Should I use maxlife or maxlife synthetic or rotella disel oil to help with oil consumption before or after auto rx treatment?

Another option would be to rebuild the engine as I did on my 1ZZ-FED with a friend/enthusiat mechanic, which will have a total cost of 950-1150 just to keep things simple, this is my daily driver even though my GT-S with 2ZZ-GE is suppose to be but that car takes 93! N gives less mpg. My intention would be to keep it for 10 years at least so, help me make an informed decision.

Last edited:
That car will run forever and common for them to use quite a bit of oil. Just keep topping it off and go up a grade or two as necessary. Weather permitting you could try some HDEO 15w-40 to help clean things up. Typically though you will find the root cause is stuck rings with these 1.6's. I have done OCI on these motors with none to 500ml left in the sump without skipping a beat. I posted about one where literally nothing came out after removing the drain plug. Owner was complaining of an oil light on. No kidding. Spun a new filter on and filled it up. It's still going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back