1996 Camaro Z28 Mobil 1 325K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
325,000 miles? Was Mobil 1 used the entire time? And was this latest report from an autoX race?

Sweet car! 1LE, factory race car with 325K on the original LT1, and it's been raced?
shocked.gif
I'll stop bashing GM. No I won't
grin.gif

[ June 08, 2005, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Drew99GT ]

Yes 325K miles on the car-never rebuilt LT1 engine. Her car is rock solid. She drives it all over to autocross events since she got it in '96.

I just asked her how long it's been run on mobil 1 and how much autocross use is on that sample. I'm sure it has some.

It's cases like these that make me think worrying about wear in ppm is a friggin JOKE.

even though autocrossed. it's 32k miles a year. gotta be alot of highway driving there.

Decent report. Even more so considering the usage and the mileage on the car. It certainly runs counter to a lot of the conventional wisdom. Interesting that it got that thick though.

If I were her I'd Photoshop out the personal info shown on the Blackstone pdf...

I remember when her car was almost brand new! I joined onto the f-body mailing list in 1996, just after Karen bought that car. I'm glad to hear she's still around and still on the original motor! Those LT1s are rock solid, it's still a good old tried and true Chevy 350 bottom end, just with a different top end.

"It's cases like these that make me think worrying about wear in ppm is a friggin JOKE"

But it's fun.
smile.gif

You could do this using ANY, GF-4 rated, petroleum oil and changing it every 3000 miles.
smile.gif

Show me something impressive and triple that service interval to 15,000...
wink.gif
Then we'll talk!

Tooslick

"You could do this using ANY, GF-4 rated, petroleum oil and changing it every 3000 miles."

Come on Ted, you know thats not true.
wink.gif
Where is all that valvetrain wear at? LOL.
smile.gif

Seriously though, I wonder what the engine would be like using a GF-4 Dino oil tracked for most of it's life, but changed every 3k.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
You could do this using ANY, GF-4 rated, petroleum oil and changing it every 3000 miles.
smile.gif

A lot of cars that have been autocrossed won't make it this far because of oil starvation-I know of a couple LT1's that blew up b/c of that. I'd say this car has done pretty ****ed well. This car has been driven hard and last I heard still runs solid 13's in the 1/4 with a stock motor.

Posted by Too Slick:
quote:

You could do this using ANY, GF-4 rated, petroleum oil and changing it every 3000 miles. [Smile]

Since GF-4 oils have only been out for about 6 months, and not much of it on the store shelves back then, we'll see in the upcoming years.

Quick oil change places and dealers really push 3,000 mile oil changes, so 325,000 mile cars will probably be the norm in about 9 years. Although I'm sure for the average imports that will be a really low-mile car in 10 years+

Mileage isn't always indicative of use either. I managed to basically use up German Castrol in less than a 1000 miles from autocross use in my own LT1 Camaro.

I had the analysis posted a while back somewhere.

I like to see low wear in UOA's, but it's reports like this and RL that really make me question the whole process. Especially with the recent thread about additives/film/protective layer. Is 5,000 miles the longest she has ran the Mobil 1? I'm curious to see how many AutoX race miles are on this car. Any oil consumption? BTW, anything over 100ppm in Fe is considered high. Even when speaking with Amsoil tech about wear metals, they said it's insignificant unless you see differences of something like 50ppm +/-. I'll take the oil that shows lower wear, but the point is, I think we are wasting our time in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back