1995 Toyota Tacoma coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the 2.7L 4-cylinder engine. Plastic tanked radiator says "Harrison" on it. I think it has conventional green coolant in it, but hard to tell, obviously needs to be changed! Any recommendations?

I changed my 94 Toyota Camry to G-05 and it was fine. I think Zerex Asian would be fine also. But I would suggest draining everything out if you are going to change the type of coolant. I would not suggest DexCool or all makes/all models (DexClone) unless it came from the factory with DexCool, which it did not.

Originally Posted By: Mike242GT
Has the 2.7L 4-cylinder engine. Plastic tanked radiator says "Harrison" on it. I think it has conventional green coolant in it, but hard to tell, obviously needs to be changed! Any recommendations?

All old toyota's that i have had(about 10) can use multiple coolants. they are not picky. Toyota red is preferred for its 100000 mile life, but any old green is fine. Just make sure you splice a flush kit into the heater hose. The coolant tends to get greasy from hose residue and a good flush is helpful. I add B-G or prestone coolant flush about 100-200 miles before i flush them.
My current corolla just needed the radiator replaced . It was original and had 310000 miles on it. Found one at the u-pick yard for $35. I didn't even flush it. Coolant was pretty new. Just took out the old and put it back in.

If you have a little time on your hands, and easy access to the block drains, use about 2-3 tablespoons of TSP (trisodium phosphate) - the real stuff, mixed with about 1/4 cup of powdered Cascade dishwasher detergent and fully dissolve into a gallon of distilled water. After you drain all the coolant from the engine and radiator, refill with your mixture and top off with Distilled water only and run for 20-30 minutes with the heater on high. Drain, refill with distilled water and run with heater on high until hot, drain, repeat until you see clear water coming out of you engine/radiator. Works like a champ, you will be surprised what you see come out of there especially if it hasn't been cleaned before. I used clear tubing I got at Lowes attached to the nipple extensions on the block drains and radiator so I could see the drain out and to keep things clean/dry. Block drain on the driver's side of the 4.0 V6 is a real joy to access if you have big hands and arms! There are a couple of good how-to posts about this somewhere on here. Diesel forums use a version of this regularly when they clean, or have a head gasket/coolant leak issue.

Very effective, and much easier on your cooling system than acid based cleaners. I did this process on the Tacoma in my signature right after Thanksgiving and refilled with Toyota SLLC - Pink. I just wanted peace of mind for another 4-5 years, water pumps suck on these V6's I hear but mine is hanging in there. I think that generation of Tacoma used Toyota Red; if you can find the concentrate at a good price jump on it. If not, Zerex Asian Vehicle - Pink is a good product, virtually identical to Toyota OEM Pink. I got a great buy on a case of Toyota Pink 50/50, that's why I used that. 2.5 gallons or so for my truck, another 2.5 gallons for my son-in-law's 4Runner, and a little on the shelf for top-off.

The Toyota red works well in my two Toyotas. I just replaced the timing belt and water pump in my Sienna and the internals of the engine, including the pump, were pristine. I do change it out on a regular schedule however, and use distilled water to dilute.

IIRC the red has a published lifetime of 30,000 miles, it is the pink that is 100,000.

I would not use "any old green" IMHO.

Hello, FYI: My friend;s 1996 Toyota Corolla had 3 radiators listed. The Harrison was 1 quart more than the other 2. It may or may not apply to your vehicle, but be aware. Kira

Originally Posted By: Donald
I changed my 94 Toyota Camry to G-05 and it was fine.

That is what I use in my 94 Toyota Pickup. No problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back