1994/1995 engine in a 1992/1993

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through the situation of a local salvage place, 5 miles or less from where the engine would be put in, has the engine from a 1994 or 1995 S-10 4.3 for the same price as the exact fit ones would be from across the country, once shipping is added. I talked with someone last night.. They said oil pan and pick-up tube would need to be changed, also the valve covers so they would be in a slightly different place.. ?? The good news is that I think the VIN is the same ("W" not "Z") in the later years, but what all WILL bolt up and what WON'T, if I put the 1994/1995 engine in the 1992/1993? (I can't remember all the guy said but if I go with the local shop then obviously the place I didn't buy it from won't help me.)

?

Could even put this local engine in the back of the F150, the difference is what will swap and how will it work........ 1994/1995 engine in a 1993, everything else the same... Two donor engines, both 1993.. ?

Basically, what all needs to be swapped off the old 92/93 to make the 94/95 4.3 work, and can it. ?

*Engine says it is from a 1995, I would be having two donor engines.

What would have to swap off of the 93s to make the 95 engine work?

*King Of Prussia, Shorty's Auto Parts
vs shipped from Minnesota.
The swapping from the 93 to the 95 is looking more practical, IF I can be guided as to what besides the oil pan and pick-up tube needs to be changed over from the old engine to the new.

my concern is that the injection scheme changed between years, so may not be the same... may not matter though...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
my concern is that the injection scheme changed between years, so may not be the same... may not matter though...

I hear you.

I am thinking that the engines were ultimately the same betwen 1992 and 1995, (1996 is the totally different one, start of) and that the VIN Ws were "L35" and that swapping will do the trick. http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/4-3l-vortec-years-75205/#post914912

The engine guy says it may, the other guy yesterday says it could if everything is swapped from old to new, and I am seeking to confirm here, buying a good newer one for $500 local beats the [censored] out of an unknown from Minnesota. Even driving it from here to there. But it is what it is...

84_vortec.jpg

1992 was when GM introduced CPI on the 4.3 V6 and they stayed with it until 96. IIRC. So the 95 "should" work in the 92 without major issues. So long as everything gets hooked up electronically the exsisting ECU should work. GM didn't change anything for years on these engines until sequential injection came around in 96.

If both are TBI engines, you have zero worries...

I remember that ad from the 80s. I was just reading it when my dad came busting in the room, fresh from the parent/teacher conference. Suffice it to say, I got whipped. LOL. 8th grade IIRC, and I was a bit big to get whipped, but whatever lol.

Originally Posted By: Gotch
This is going into an S-10 right?

Yes.

I talked with the guys at the savage yard about it, and they told me that it COULD be done, but that the 1995 would basically have to be torn down a "short block." ANother forum also says 1995 has the best heads..

Thngs I would have to change, at a minimum:

- Oil pan and pickup tube
- Timing chain cover and distributor; 'exciter' is different
- Not sure what else was mentioned.

So when you put your franken-engine together and it doesn't work, will you get warranty help from the yard?

answer, no.

Have you looked into remanufactured long blocks? Rock Auto lists them for about the same price as the Suburban you were looking at. You might come out ahead if you can do just one more engine swap and have a running vehicle.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
84_vortec.jpg

V6 in a 3/4 ton truck. I thought pickups couldnt get out of their way without 900 lb-ft of diesel torque? Must be all kinds of people dead on onramps where they couldnt merge... lol.

1985. So did they have a non-vortec 4.3 V6 or were they still using the inline lump before then?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
1985. So did they have a non-vortec 4.3 V6 or were they still using the inline lump before then?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
So when you put your franken-engine together and it doesn't work, will you get warranty help from the yard?

answer, no.

ATM, I have an engine directly out of a 1993 coming from Minnesota. That particular yard has 3 of them. They listed the engine for $350, but they had one of them in there for $300, so they are giving me the best running of the three for $300. They said I had to contact and arrange shipping myself, so Lakewood (?) Carriers - NOT R & L, they said they do not even let them on the property - is shipping it to Norristown, PA for $206. ATM, it is going to a pace called Martinez on 367 E Airy St, Norristown PA.. Whether or not they do the work, as 'Bama has resurfaced. If we can figure out how to get it from here/there (how to get on and off the F150, if it comes to that? The engine in there may quit by then, it sounds -horrible-) then I save some money.

This saved Frankenengines, radiators from Astros, dipsticks not put on right, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back