1993 Dodge Shadow - under the valve covers

Congrats on the purchase. Besides the varnish --- looks great. No 3.0L decals? Could have swore my buddies Moms shadow with the 3.0L had decals???? Cant remember for sure but hers was brown with the tan interior.
I'll never get the true and complete story on this, but apparently the original owner was involved in some sort of mishap in her driveway, striking her husband's car with the right front of the Shadow. The hood and the right front fender have been repainted (terribly....like Maaco single-stage terribly), and the 3.0 decals were not replaced on the hood bulge. But fear not, after I get the paint fixed..... 😉

Screenshot_20221229-153602-746.jpg

I'll never get the true and complete story on this, but apparently the original owner was involved in some sort of mishap in her driveway, striking her husband's car with the right front of the Shadow. The hood and the right front fender have been repainted (terribly....like Maaco single-stage terribly), and the 3.0 decals were not replaced on the hood bulge. But fear not, after I get the paint fixed..... 😉

View attachment 132963
Thats what I am talking about ---- good deal!!! ;)

To fix this use a high detergent oil an change every 3500 after about 2-3 changes it’ll be back to normal. This isn’t really varnish. A lot of low viscosity motors run like this. Otherwise it’s very clean under there. Here’s my girlfriends Elantra with 160k she got it with 130k and I’ve only used Pennzoil platinum 5w30 ( in Florida weather) even though it calls for 5w20 with great results. You could get away with using Rotella T6 for those 2 changes and get good results.
Here’s her upper cylinder View attachment 132930
Engine oil is not a good cleaner, it's not designed to clean, it's designed to keep things clean, big difference. If you want to remove existing deposits you need something high in AN's, Esters, or both, which will slowly remove the deposits.

To fix this use a high detergent oil an change every 3500 after about 2-3 changes it’ll be back to normal. This isn’t really varnish.
It is varnish, and from what I understand, you’re misconstruing oil detergents like dish soap detergents that they can clean. Detergents in an oil keep things in suspension, not actively clean/remove deposits; you’d need esters or AN to actually clean deposits that are already in the engine. While it may be true to some extent that varnish doesn’t appear to cause many issues (and in some cases, doesn’t), varnish absolutely will reduce heat transfer and can lead to “gumminess” which is never good. Also, heat is absolutely the kryptonite of valvesprings, and therefore coating them with an insulating layer is never a good thing.

My ex had one of these as in a 2.5L 5MT back when we were dating, a ‘97 I believe. That car was more fun than it should have been, and with suspension work could have been even more. That 3.0 probably throws a lot of power down for that little chassis, exchanging a little weight distribution finesse instead. Looks like it’s in amazing internal condition. You’re gonna fry some tires, if I remember, differential gears were not uncommonly destroyed in these, not from any design weakness, but just the temptation to spin them out at every opportunity.

My ex had one of these as in a 2.5L 5MT back when we were dating, a ‘97 I believe. That car was more fun than it should have been, and with suspension work could have been even more. That 3.0 probably throws a lot of power down for that little chassis, exchanging a little weight distribution finesse instead. Looks like it’s in amazing internal condition. You’re gonna fry some tires, if I remember, differential gears were not uncommonly destroyed in these, not from any design weakness, but just the temptation to spin them out at every opportunity.
The owner of a different Shadow I was looking at said he had to replace the transmission because of some pin that worked it's way out of the pinion gear, setting the gear loose inside the case, which blew a hole in the transmission. He works on cars for a living and said this condition was fairly common in these cars. Kinda scary, don't think that issue has occurred with this car.

The owner of a different Shadow I was looking at said he had to replace the transmission because of some pin that worked it's way out of the pinion gear, setting the gear loose inside the case, which blew a hole in the transmission. He works on cars for a living and said this condition was fairly common in these cars. Kinda scary, don't think that issue has occurred with this car.
Yes! That’s the same condition. Ours never had that problem but I didn’t spin it out needlessly either. The one we had was an easy car to live with.

I always really liked those 3L-powered Duster Shadows. I have a pic somewhere of me sitting in one at an auto show when they came out.
I really should have made an effort to get one, but they were new when I got my lisence; and then they became fairly rare.
Yours looks great; good job on detailing it!

I was in the Army when these came out in the mid to late 1980's. Was a popular first car for many Privates and priced decent. Styling was way better than a Chevy Cavalier at the time.

Hey guys, doing the valve cover gaskets on my recently acquired 93 Shadow. 62,000 miles. All I can say is.... varnishpalooza. According to the thick pile of service records, it's had a steady diet of conventional and semi-syn. At this point, I'm grateful there's no sludge.

View attachment 132807
View attachment 132808
It's a Chrysler; be greatful it runs. Run a synthetic like M1,QS or PUP for a short duration along with @High Performance Lubricants EC30. Swap a filter, get the last bit of the EC30 in the top off and do another 2k. Run Gumout Multitune in the fuel tank, spray out the throttle plate, go run it on the highway then pick a oil you like and stick with it. Thanks for the pics!!

Back