1993 Dodge Shadow - under the valve covers

Hey guys, doing the valve cover gaskets on my recently acquired 93 Shadow. 62,000 miles. All I can say is.... varnishpalooza. According to the thick pile of service records, it's had a steady diet of conventional and semi-syn. At this point, I'm grateful there's no sludge.

IMG_20221228_141723332.jpg

IMG_20221228_141733372.jpg

Hey guys, doing the valve cover gaskets on my recently acquired 93 Shadow. 62,000 miles. All I can say is.... varnishpalooza. According to the thick pile of service records, it's had a steady diet of conventional and semi-syn. At this point, I'm grateful there's no sludge.

Nice Ride. I had a 91 Sundance with the Mitsu 3.0L and a 5 speed. There are some performance tricks that make that engine come alive. On mine the 1st thing was to crank the distributor to full advance...to the max limit on the slot on the distributor base. Its been so long ago but think it was counter clockwise. Went to junkyard and scrounged a throttle body from a Chrysler minivan with a 3.8L engine. The minivan TB is much larger. The Mitsu was choked way down given the comparative cc's of the engine. There will be interference to the mouth on the upper plenum and with that used a dremmel to hog it out and port matched. I went further in blending by drum sanding to area way up into the zip tube in the upper plenum. I used premium plug wires and plugs also. There are a few sites that can give more info. The oil burning issue was due to the junk heads from Mitsu that had incorrect valve guide machining allowing them to drop (with mileage) relieving the usefulness of the valve guide seal. As for the deposits in the valvetrain area I think it looks pretty darn good given the age of the vehicle. Can always use 1/2 quart of trans fluid as a detergent flush or Seafoam with the oil and drive for a couple hundred miles and change the oil.

I agree looks great and leave it alone.
I agree. I had a 94 Dodge Shadow with the 4 cylinder. I liked that car a lot. My wife drove it for 3 years before I sold it to acquire a 96 Caravan. I think the Mitsu V6 engines are known for using oil because of faulty valve guide seals. Other than that they are solid engines from what I remember.

View attachment 132807
View attachment 132808
Awesome
I had one of those back in the day.
Great to see one still kicking.
I had the turbo variant.
Had some good kick to it.

My '91 Sundance had the lowly 2.2 I4 but my mom's Acclaim had that 3.0 V6. It had plenty of power and torque and would move itself along quite nicely, almost overkill for the fancy econobox those K-car descendants were. It was certainly a lot nicer and more fun to drive than my Sundance was.

Back