1992 Honda Civic Auto - tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HMC/Acura auto trannys new and old love the combination of full capacity change 6>8 qts of Valvoline Maxlife and 6 oz of Lubeguard Platinum
tamed 2 sick shifting HMC's here
will never go back to Z1 sushi fish oil

quote:

Originally posted by Steelhead:
HMC/Acura auto trannys new and old love the combination of full capacity change 6-8 qts of Valvoline Maxlife and 6 oz of Lubeguard Platinum

Sounds expensive. Also sounds like one hack job corrected by another hack job.

not as expensive as a new replacement Acura TL auto tranny
hack up a Texas Dust Luggy on that

Maxlife is $3qt, Z1 is $4.95qt here

427Z06,

I am just wondering what fluid your friend ended up using and the result. I just picked up a 92 Civic auto myself and figured I can borrow on your friend's experiences. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

gasguzzler, what's the size of the aluminum crush washer for the drain plug?

If you're still subscribed to this thread, and you didn't already figure it out, it is the same as the engine oil drain plug crush washer, tightened to 29 ft/lbs. Engine plug tightens to 33 ft/lbs.

I raised my 92 Civic up on the left side with a ramp on the front wheel, and jacked up the rear to level the tilt. Fluid was still dripping out after 2 days. Got about 3 1/2 quarts back into it, about half of full capacity.

Yes the service manual specs "Honda Premium" or Dexron II. I've heard scary things about using Dex III, so I bought some Z-1 from AllDiscountParts (dot) c0m. $4.34/qt.

My son-in-law the Honda Tech says they all downshift harshly, that's just their nature. Mine has 209,000 miles on it, and the engine flares during the 3-2 or 2-1 downshift. Draining and refilling the fluid didn't help that.

Good luck,
-Bob

Quote:

427Z06,

I am just wondering what fluid your friend ended up using and the result. I just picked up a 92 Civic auto myself and figured I can borrow on your friend's experiences. Thanks in advance.

Well, I finally got him to move his butt and we changed out 3 qts. with ST ATF+4. According to him, it shifts about the same or maybe a little better. I drove it once like 6 months ago, so I couldn't recall how it shifted before. Seems OK for the short drive I took it for. Sorry I couldn't provide more info, but it's like pulling teeth trying to get some people motivated about car maintenance. He'll probably drive it 'till something breaks and then just get another beater to replace it. Shame really, it was well cared for by it's previous owner.

Sounds like everyone around here. No one seems to share my enthusiasm. I'm looking around for alternatives to the standard Honda fluid for my Integra. I saw some MaxLife and other Synthetic fluids at Meijer.

Quote:

Sounds like everyone around here. No one seems to share my enthusiasm. I'm looking around for alternatives to the standard Honda fluid for my Integra. I saw some MaxLife and other Synthetic fluids at Meijer.

The problem with automatics and the ATF for them is that different fluids have different friction modifiers, among other properties. I too, would be adamant about putting a synth in my tranny, but if it lubricates too much, and the required fluid is one that is not too slippery, it can cause clutch slippage, and all sorts of problems......

You ARE referring to an automatic transmission, right?

I'm running Honda ATF-Z1 in my 1993 Honda Civic auto. Tranny runs better with Z1 than any other previous fluid. Bought her new and still on original engine/tranny since 1993. Now has 220K+ miles

Quote:

I'm running Honda ATF-Z1 in my 1993 Honda Civic auto. Tranny runs better with Z1 than any other previous fluid. Bought her new and still on original engine/tranny since 1993. Now has 220K+ miles

I suspect that's probably the best solution. But I'll be dipped in manure before I donate some of my Honda ATF-Z1 stash for a slacker's beater.
grin.gif

Quote:

magbarn,

How's the trans shifting, still good? I'm wondering if you have any instances where the engine flares on a semi-forced downshift? My 92 seems to not like downshifting in a turn, the engine flares when it downshifts I think from 2-1. Seems to only happen in right turns around 10 MPH, coming out of the turn (or uphill sharp curve), when you give it some throttle. How are the regular downshifts, as when coming to a stop sign?

How often did you drain the transmission? Did you do the flush (fluid exchange)? Or did you drain-and-refill?

Thanks for any input, I just got this car at 206,000 miles, wonder if yours has similar issues

-Bob

The friction modifiers aren't all that different. The given HFM level is. But, most transmissions work within a reasoably wide range of HFM level. This is why multivehicle ATFs and aftermarkter fluid converters work extremely well.
This is also one reason why OEM's can back spec better fluids as improvements to older transmissions.

Older transmissions are less dependent on HFM level then the newer electronically controlled slip-shift and/or variable torque converter lockup type transmissions. I doubt that a '92 economy car has either.

There is nothing wrong with using DexronIII in place of DexronII. All the stories you hear are hearsay. These are equivalent to the stories that ATF flushes caused failures, synthetics cause seal leaks,....... All issues are caused by factory defects, owners negligence, and owners abuse.

Not knowing the previous maintenance history on this thread starter's vehicle, I would definitely use the Z1 ATF. The reason why isn't because its the best, its because the fluid won't be blamed for the failure if there are any issues currently unknown. A 15 year old transmission, regardless of the low mileage, will have issues. And, most owners look to point failure blame elsewhere and not at themselves.

I do recommend a full flush with ANY decent ATF. After that, a yearly drain/refill or 2 would be plenty. Blended and full synthetics are recommended. And, an HFM'd fluid or additive can smooth a shift a little, especially in a simple shift-point programmed transmission. But, don't expect any additive or fluid to rebuild the transmission.

$4 doesn't sound like much for OEM fluid. But, thats just $1 fluid with profit margin. Sorry, but I just don't see the need for it when DexronII was an acceptable choice in '92. And, most synth blend ATF are in that price range with better performance.

Valvoline Maxlife would be an easy choice. It works well in brand new hondacuras so it would be a smoother shifting upgrade to an older Honda. It is not overpriced, available in most autoparts and department stores, and is a highmileage ATF which would be a good match for a 15+ year old unknown history transmission.

I have run the Maxlife ATF in my 96 Honda, however I do not know how much different that tranny is from a 92-93. Shifts were immediately much harsher and slightly improved with 1oz/qt of Lubeguard Black HFM converter fluid. Two drain and fills with Z1 after that and shifting is smooth, but when fluid is cold has shift flares 2nd-3rd. Just added ARX, we'll see how that does.

Quote:

Honda Z1 ATF is only $4 per bottle, why bother using any other ATF like Maxlife or Dexron + Lubeguard ?

Where is Z1 asf $4.00 per quart bottle. Not at my dealerstealer. On line sources seem much higher than $4 and shipping charge is high.

The best online Z1 deal I've seen recently was handa accessories at around $4.60ish. This price works if one is in the west coast or if you have a large order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back