1992 Honda Civic Auto - tranny fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend just acquired a relatively low mileage 1992 Honda Civic with an automatic, but it didn't include an owner's manual. Anybody know what kind of tranny fluid is spec'd for it?

Sources are a bit unclear, it says either ATF-Z1 or Dex III.

I'd put Dex III in and see how it shifts, if it's too firm, just add Lubegard HFM.

The '94 Accord AT owners manual says DexronII. Not much help since DexII is not available. ATF Z1 did not exist in 1994 so it is hard to prove that ATF Z1 is the ideal ATF for a '94.

I use ATF+4 in our Honda transmissions. We've got a prelude H23A with over 300K on the original tranmission that has had ATF+3 and +4 in it. It very much likes it!

quote:

Originally posted by Max_Wander:
I use ATF+4 in our Honda transmissions. We've got a prelude H23A with over 300K on the original tranmission that has had ATF+3 and +4 in it. It very much likes it!

Interesting. Another member looked at the ATF+3/+4 friction coefficients and speculated that it may be a good substitute for Z1.

quote:

Originally posted by thrace:
ATF Z1 did not exist in 1994 so it is hard to prove that ATF Z1 is the ideal ATF for a '94.

Well...if Z1 didn't exist in 1994, that would eliminate it as a possibility. But then again, Honda may have back spec'd it.

Here's something interesting:

1992-95 Honda Civic: Reliability

Trouble Spots
Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.
Automatic transmission: Cars with high mileage may begin to shift more harshly, which may be corrected by adding a bottle of Lubeguard conditioner to the automatic-transmission fluid. (1992-95)

http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2049/act/usedcarreviewshowall/

I wonder if a change to ATF+4 or Z1 would accomplish the same thing.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by thrace:
ATF Z1 did not exist in 1994 so it is hard to prove that ATF Z1 is the ideal ATF for a '94.

Well...if Z1 didn't exist in 1994, that would eliminate it as a possibility. But then again, Honda may have back spec'd it.

In case, you didn't see the thread a while ago, a member tried Mobil 1 Multi Vehicle ATF in their Honda, which was spec'ed for Z1. The Multi-Vehicle ATF was DexIII/Mercon-V/ATF+4 compatible. Shifts were extremely firm, and addition of Lubegard HFM supplement was needed.

Again, the friction modifiers used in ATF are selective and will only respond to a specific type of clutch material.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
In case, you didn't see the thread a while ago, a member tried Mobil 1 Multi Vehicle ATF in their Honda, which was spec'ed for Z1.

According to gasguzzler, this vehicle is spec'd for Dex II/III.

quote:

The Multi-Vehicle ATF was DexIII/Mercon-V/ATF+4 compatible. Shifts were extremely firm, and addition of Lubegard HFM supplement was needed.

This is a $1000 beater car. I don't see M1 AND Lubegard HFM supplement in it's future.

quote:

Again, the friction modifiers used in ATF are selective and will only respond to a specific type of clutch material.

Site a qualified reference.

Further, without knowing what specific clutch material is in question, and what specific additive is in each type of fluid or conditioner, seems to me like this doesn't help much.

My point is that you cannot assume an ATF+4 compatible fluid will automatically generate smoother shifts when installed into a unit that was not originally designed to accommodate a different fluid. In other words, not all "HFM" fluids are interchangeable.

Depending on whether or not you consider Tooslick to be a reputable source:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001965#000023
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000949#000002

quote:

My point is that you cannot assume an ATF+4 compatible fluid will automatically generate smoother shifts when installed into a unit that was not originally designed to accommodate a different fluid. In other words, not all "HFM" fluids are interchangeable.

Depending on whether or not you consider Tooslick to be a reputable source:

I'm not automatically assuming anything. That's why I wanted to know first what this particular transmission was spec'd for. Max_Wander then added that he successfully used ATF+3/+4 in a H23A1 engine/tranny which is from the 1992–1996 Prelude era. Add to that the reference that these 1992-95 Civic autos shift harshly as they age. And I read elsewhere, it was one of the reasons Honda developed Z1, as the spec'd Dex II/III would result in poor shifting qualities in these transmissions as they aged.

As far as Tooslick's statements, he was talking about Amsoil's universal fluid. Not quite sure you can extrapolate from his statements that all "HFM" fluids use a specific friction modifier for each type of clutch material.

quote:

Originally posted by gasguzzler:
Its spec'd for Dex II/III. I haven't heard about the back spec'ing part. Let me know if you need more information.

I looked through an updated version of the FSM (for 92-95 models) and it specs DexII or Honda Premium Fluid. I guess Honda did back spec the fluid requirement, although I don't know if Z1 is the same as the Premium fluid mentioned here. Anyone?

Older Honda transmissions that spec'ed Dexron-II are the only cases I know of where Dexron-III are not compatible. Honda Z-1 is the right stuff, or one of the universal fluids said to be good for Hondas, or Dex-III plus a black bottle of the secret sauce for transmissions.

Ken

Well seeing that it's a $1000 beater, I'm going to try to convince my friend to try some ST ATF+4. I'm curious to see how specialized these FMs really are. Any problems we can always switch back to Honda Z-1 or Dex-III plus a black bottle Lubegard. The tranny should be well flushed if it comes to that.
grin.gif

We've got a 92 Civ auto that my son drives. I alwya use M1 syn ATF every 30,000 miles. It has been totally trouble free and shifts as new.

I have a 96 honda, it's factory service manual says dex II dex III or honda atf. the owners manual says dex II or honda atf.

Have run Z1 in it, have 50% mobil 1 multi vehicle in it now.

No change in shifting, loaded upshifts the same, unloaded upshifts still abrupt.

Will put Z1 back in it at next 50% change out since I have a case of that fluid, I just wanted to see if the Mobil 1 would get as dark as quickly and if it changed the shifting feel of the transmission.

But the factory shop manual says Dex II or III are ok for a 96.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back