1992 Galant ARX treatment begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

and BTW
well, o2 sensor didn't make it in...totally stripped, heated with torch, etc. bolt in there for now.

You know Rob , a functioning O2 sensor can be thought of as a force multiplier or a "problem" multipler depending on how you look at it - 1/2 empty or 1/2 full .

Everything is gonna get better when you get that squared away ...... I'm
also thinking about the miles you drive ......the current price of fuel ......how long its been .....
wink.gif

If the manifold and gaskets are decent that "sounds" like a good deal from RA . Is the manifold "tanked" and "true" ?

cheers.gif

sorry for the late update, the O2 sensor was replaced (original manifold) about a week later.
pulled the dipstick to check the oil tonight, some nice little "pieces" of whatever on it...and it's only into the rinse cycle about 1k miles....

Rob, nice mileage gains in your stable. We all should thank you, for minimizing fuel demand. I think that it is a good idea that you continue with the ARX in the power steering unit. You definitely want the seals to be clean before running the maxlife product that will swell the seals. You want to be sure that the whole surface is clean, before using the swelling techinque.

clean and rinse filters will be cut June 2nd, along with compression test and pics from under the valve cover of the Galant.....started the cleaning cycle on the F150 also.

well, i just changed the rinse oil out of the galant, 1500 miles on the cleaning cycle and 2k on the rinse cycle.

things i learned:
1) it's not worth cutting open a filter
2) for such a big filter, there is very little media...makes me worry about the civic's filter, that thing is about 1/3 the size of the galant
3) I will not be cutting open the cleaning cycle filter (used my dremel tool)
4) This will be the last time i pull the valve cover to take pics. There has been no change but the drastic increase in mileage speaks for ARX's results!
5) dark filter media of the ST filter (or is it just the oil?) makes the pics hard to see.

worthless pics (clickable to enlarge):

compression readings will follow later tonight.

Update on the civic: 39 MPG. going to run the cleaning cycle for 4k miles, with a filter change at 2k, since i dumped in the whole bottle.
shouldn't hurt a thing.

first set are copied from original post:

ompression readings: cylinder/initial/after adding 2cc 5W-30 via sparkplug hole:

1/167/190
2/164/190
3/165/185
4/160/192

After one clean/rinse cycle:
1/169
2/167
3/165
4/166
There is no second reading (with oil added via sparkplug hole) as I didn't see the need....

Will be running this cleaning cycle for 2k miles with ST 5W30 and then the rinse with Chevron 10W-30 to start getting rid of my stash....

Varnish is a cosmetic issue, does not effect performance of your engine one way or the other. Takes Auto-Rx longer to remove varnish than a solvent than again Auto-Rx is safe.

Last edited:
Agreed..and that varnish can stay there forever...all i know is the MPG has shot up in both vehicles and i have my fingers crossed for the truck...i hit 18mpg heading to NJ with a 1/2 ton load in the back before the ARX, so there's not much room for improvement...but after knowing what it did for the two cars, i'll sleep better at night knowing the 5.4L is a lot cleaner inside!

rsylvstr, the thing to do is hand the ST filters to dry for a week or so. The oil will drip off and leave a clear contrast between deposits and filter media. I have one ready to show off but the camera is at the hospital awaiting junior's (my kid, not Dale) arrival.

The PS leak does not surprise me one bit. 104k miles, and i'm willing to bet the system was neglected. The new fluid must of washed away false seals. I see this all the time. Maybe the better option would of been to just keep the old fluid, autorx it and refill with a maintanence dose of AutoRX, however, i'm a bit skeptical as any additives in the PS is usually alot more harm than good. I want to try the Valvoline maxlife PS fluid but there are no aftermarket fluids that will work in a VW PS system.

the PS was leaking like crazy before i ARXed it....then it started leaking even worse. two garages tell me it's a line on the rack and the rack is bad....both say it's not worth repairing....and I agree!
running the second ARX cycle in the engine now.

maybe you shuld of modified there instructions just a little bit and added the auto rx TO THE OLD fluid. Then when the leak stopped flushed out the fluid and did ANOTHER treatment on fresh oil. Then flushed it out and ran just ps fluid for a rinse, and finally flushed that out and ran PS fluid again.

it was pretty much old PS fluid....i added ARX and the leak never got better, or worse...it's a mechanical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back