1992 Galant ARX treatment begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering which oil you have been using on the car overall, because of the varnish

3rd paragraph in the original post.

And remember that he bought the car with 104k on it so unless he has the records or receipts for every oil change, we don't know what OCI it had before him.
dunno.gif

I would not worry about cutting open the filter, just follow Franks instructions and get on with it.

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Perhaps the supposed valve train tick of this Misu motor has been uncovered. I have read quite a few threads over the years. I wonder how many people missed this oil deflector problem.

It appears that the brake cleaner spray on the valve cover did very little, without some brushing. My guess is the brake cleaner flashed off very fast, particularly if it was the perch type.

It looks like these accumulations were from vapors. Don't know if ARX will help if there is not a good liquid flow hitting the underside of the valve cover.

It may well be worth looking at the inside of the filter to see if you get some very small carbon like deposits in the oil filter. This may be a clue that the rings and lans had some deposits. Compression looks very good on this unit, my guess the rings are not stuck. However they may be getting close to binded.

I am a believer that period use of ARX is better used as a preventative meassure on a proactive basis, rather than a fix of an avoidable problem.

Quote:

Do not use high mileage oils . Additive package not good for seals. Use 1 ounce of Auto-Rx in ps.unit clean -drain and refill l with plain ps fluid. It will take some miles to stop leak. Did you ever go to www.auto-rx.net ?

Why is the HM additive package not good for seals?
confused.gif

I'm not using high mileage oils at all....and that's a great question, since when is it not good for seals?

I did have HM PS fluid in it until i decided to run ARX (the maxlife PS fluid actually slowed the leak!)....before adding the ARX, actually a week prior, i flushed the system, then topped it off and added the 1oz of ARX. I visited the site, read the entire site, and printed half the site...

and BTW
well, o2 sensor didn't make it in...totally stripped, heated with torch, etc. bolt in there for now.

new fuel filter ...NO hesitation/surge anymore.
not sure which it was, the O2 or filter. the filter was new after the junkyard tank (with lots of varnish...) I'm thinking the Techron dissolved it all and put it in the filter, that gas was nasty coming out...
after looking on rockauto.com, the manifold with both gaskets and new hardware was $77....just the one gasket was $16...so, i figured I'd just pay for the manifold/hardware kit instead...that way, no tapping and I'll be sure the O2 sensor fit...expensive lesson considering I'm now driving around with the CEL on the whole time and she runs/idles like a champ.

Quote:

that's an actual filter cutter though, correct?

I'm on spending restrictions for now LOL.

It's just a big pipe cutter. I don't know the exact technical name, the one in the pic was given to me by a friend who owned a plumbing supply store.

Yeah, that one looks good and the price is right. For reference, mine says 2 5/8" O.D. which just barely fits an FL400s.

Which ever it was, Fuel filter or O2 sensor, hopefully this has corrected the white looking spark plugs. Plugs looked like the fuel air mix was very lean.

well, the PS unit still leaks...so I'm leaving ARX in it...and running more of a maintenance dose for a while..

Hoping to find time to open the clean cycle filter...won't have enough miles by this weekend to do the rinse cycle filter.

Also, my mileage, strictly highway SHOT up to 33 MPG!! I'm truly amazed....I was lucky to hit 29 before, and usually ended up with sub-28 on the highway.

the civic went up 2-3 miles too and the little woman is estatic!

Quote:

and BTW
well, o2 sensor didn't make it in...totally stripped, heated with torch, etc. bolt in there for now.

You know Rob , a functioning O2 sensor can be thought of as a force multiplier or a "problem" multipler depending on how you look at it - 1/2 empty or 1/2 full .

Everything is gonna get better when you get that squared away ...... I'm
also thinking about the miles you drive ......the current price of fuel ......how long its been .....
wink.gif

If the manifold and gaskets are decent that "sounds" like a good deal from RA . Is the manifold "tanked" and "true" ?

cheers.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back