1991 Lincoln Town Car Repaint

Got a mint chassis 1991 lincoln town car, and it has some kind of purple blue pearl metallic paint that is faded and completely down to primer and base coat in many areas. I really beleive that based on how it failed and when I tried to salvage it, that the OEM paint is some kind of single stage acrylic enamal. They switched to base clear in the early 90s I beleive.

I honestly do not think I can spray the car and ever have it look right as this color is VERY hard to work with unless you are a pro. Was thinking of doing black base / clear, and then silver metallic bottoms.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Is the car a good candidate for a wrap?

Painting a car really is not all that difficult, as long as the prep work is perfect and care/understanding is used during the spray. I've painted cars outside with great results. I painted my wife's Bronco (charcoal base/clear) outside and it looked better than the factory paint. Yes, bugs and dust got in the paint, but the clear was thick enough that sanding with 2000 grit, and buffing, solved the issue.

Here is a hood that I did in 30 minutes, outside! I'm not really saying it's perfect as I took very little care in the job, but it's 1000% better than it was. Along the base of the windshield, I was a bit careless. Otherwise it buffed out pretty good. Unfortunately, the owner smashed the car about a week later.

QJhZJre.jpg

Back