1991 B&S 5HP Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out the proper way to check the fluid level after changing the oil on my buddy's tiller. It's a "Yard Machines by MTD" rear tine tiller with a 5HP Briggs with a manufacture date of May 9th 1991. It's been poorly maintained, so I did pre-filter, air filter, new plug, and drained what he called oil (drained for ~24hrs to get all the sludgy SAE30 goop out). Refilled with about 6/10ths of a quart of M1HM 10W-30 SL circa 2013 I got for free but I'm not sure if I'm getting the right reading. Do I take the clean dipstick and just push in as far as I can without threading it, or take a reading fully threaded? I ask this because I don't know the capacity and each method gives a different reading. For example, my 23HP Kawasaki FR691V requires you check the level without threading the dipstick to get the correct level. But it's hard to find a manual online for a 1991 tiller.

Anyone have input? I'm tempted to err to whichever reading is higher, that way it's not overfilled, but I'd also hate to run a poorly maintained engine with a low oil level. Thanks in advance.

It doesn't matter as long as it has a normal amount of oil in it.... which is better than what was in it!'

Usually, on a briggs you thread it in to check it.

The internet is easily searchable for the proper fill capacity for this engine.
The important thing is that you get the fill capacity correct. Then you can confirm the proper dipstick reading technique.

I think you'll find that screwing the dipstick in until it seats and then removing and reading is the right way.

Good luck!!!
cheers3.gif

So does 6/10th's of a quart = 19.2oz's??? My BS push mower takes 20oz and shows a tad over full, as it did from brand new. The mower came dry but had a 20oz Pennzoil 30wt yellow bottle with it. This mower was bought new back in 1999. Shining a flashlight in so you can see the bottom of the sump, you see a clean aluminum bottom. This mower has had just about every kind & weight oil you can think of in it. There is Pennzoil Euro 5W40 in it now.

Last edited:
Well, everyone is saying screw the dipstick on to check. That's what I'll go with. As for it being easily searchable, I tried that before posting, and just searched again. Can't find anything
21.gif

jeepman3071 - thanks for the link, however this engine is not on that list. Those are all way too new. Sincere thanks for trying though
thumbsup2.gif

I have a 1985 Troy-Bilt tiller (pre-MTD) with 5 HP Briggs Flathead. This engine does not have a dipstick, just two fill and drain plugs with a plastic screw-in cap on either side of the crankcase. My owners manual says to keep the oil 2-3 threads below overflow, but the difference is insignificant. If your engine is anything like mine, I'd say fill her up to almost overflowing.

My tiller used QS SAE 30 Dino oil for most of its career. It's has Rotella T6 5W-40 for the last three years. Other than my snow blower or generator, this is the only piece of OPE that ever needs to start near freezing. It's seen 1.5 hours so far this season; so far, so good...

Funny my opposed twin in the manual I downloaded online says to read the dipstick but on mine there is nothing that says screw it in to check or not to screw it in.... I have found other manuals for opposed twins that said to screw it in. I'll have to look at it again but I think the only thing printed is that it only shows how many ounces it takes from min-max.

I actually just remembered the extra engine that I had purchased I can look at it's dipstick to see if there's anything written on that one. I know the Kohler we had you needed to rest the dipstick on top of the threads and not screw it in.

Last edited:
If memory serves, all American made engines screwed the dip stick in to check level.
Once Japanese and Asian engines showed up, they all seem to want the dip stick just to
rest on the top of the threaded area to check the level.

My 2¢

Just like the others have mentioned. Briggs/Tecumseh is checked with the dipstick threaded in. Honda/Kawasaki is checked with the dipstick resting on top of the threads.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back