1990 ZR1 131,000 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a buddy that just picked an 1990 ZR1 with 131,000 miles. Motor is in good shape, got some leaks here and there, but nothing new gaskets can't fix. So what oil would you guys use in this 26 year old supercar? The plan is to track the car after everything gets fixed....

What weight did GM spec for that engine back in the day? Ive always loved that engine, something really cool about a 32v DOHC small block Chevrolet.

Everything I've read says 10-40...guess this car used to run 12.8 to 13 1/4 miles back in the day

Yeah that 32 valve v8 really sings on the top end.

Last edited:
How about Mobil 1 HM 10W-40 , it's high mileage and it specs 10-40, however if it's going to be tracked and with that many miles and in Arizona, i'd want a 50 grade like M1 15w50, in my opinion at least

This is an amazing engine that's incredibly durable. It set and possibly still holds numerous speed endurance records for miles driven at over 175 mph. I think the highest record they set was 5,000 miles at 175.XXX. if you're going racing I'd suggest an oil temp gauge and pressure gauge. A way to data log it would be helpful. I'd personally start with a Redline 10w40 and monitor oil temperature and pressure. If all looks ok then I'd try M1 10w40 or 15w50 since it's less expensiveand more rreadily available.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
This is an amazing engine that's incredibly durable. It set and possibly still holds numerous speed endurance records for miles driven at over 175 mph. I think the highest record they set was 5,000 miles at 175.XXX. if you're going racing I'd suggest an oil temp gauge and pressure gauge. A way to data log it would be helpful. I'd personally start with a Redline 10w40 and monitor oil temperature and pressure. If all looks ok then I'd try M1 10w40 or 15w50 since it's less expensiveand more rreadily available.

Yep got the valve covers off and it looks pretty good inside, I'm rigging up some after market oil pressure and temp gauges right now...the brake fluid is toast as is the oil out of the gearbox....diff looks good....that Redline is pricey, but I'll take a look..

What weight did GM spec for that engine back in the day? Ive always loved that engine, something really cool about a 32v DOHC small block Chevrolet.

\

Wasn't that motor manufactured by Mercury Marine?

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935

\

Yup! Those things are so sweet!

I'd probably go with 10w-30 PUP.

\

Rotax or Polaris I think

Pretty good write up on Wiki - how Lotus & Mercury played roles in the engine development ...

I would probably try castrol or Mobil 0w40. If you want a heavier oil for track day, maybe mobil 1 15w50 or castrol 5w50. Your call.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I would probably try castrol or Mobil 0w40. If you want a heavier oil for track day, maybe mobil 1 15w50 or castrol 5w50. Your call.

Ditto...

\

Correct. The engine was designed by Lotus and manufactured by Mercury Marine.

Some pics would be nice
smile.gif
The ZR1 was a beast and is easily the best C4 model.

M1 15W-50 is all you need if tracked. That's what I used to run on road race SBCs seeing up to 9000 RPM.

After you guys recommendations, went with mobil 1 15w50. Got the leaks fixed, buddy ran her up to 160 with no issues. What was a surprise is on the track, after a few practice launches, she still ran a 13.06 1/4 mile...not bad for a 26 year old motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back