1990 Toyota 4x4 transmission fluid type

I am trying to figure out if my 1990 Toyota 4x4 22r manual transmission (my baby) has any yellow metals in the transmission or transfer case?? While researching I keep seeing everyone pretty much recommend a GL-5 80/90 in the diffs. For the manual transmission and t case I keep seeing GL-4 or GL-5. Back when I had my 00 Volkswagen GTI I couldn't use a gl-5 due to it having yellow metals in the manual transmission. So I want to make sure this is not the case on my truck. While researching I have found one person mention yellow metals in the transmission of my truck. Not sure if this is true?? Everyone else is saying GL-4 or GL-5 80-90
I figured this is the place for the correct answer and hope you all can help.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R1jake
I am trying to figure out if my 1990 Toyota 4x4 22r manual transmission (my baby) has any yellow metals in the transmission or transfer case?? While researching I keep seeing everyone pretty much recommend a GL-5 80/90 in the diffs. For the manual transmission and t case I keep seeing GL-4 or GL-5. Back when I had my 00 Volkswagen GTI I couldn't use a gl-5 due to it having yellow metals in the manual transmission. So I want to make sure this is not the case on my truck. While researching I have found one person mention yellow metals in the transmission of my truck. Not sure if this is true?? Everyone else is saying GL-4 or GL-5 80-90
I figured this is the place for the correct answer and hope you all can help.

The place for the correct answer is your owner's manual. What does it say?

This I do not have, which is very weird I have everything else including the original window sticker. Somewhere along the line the manual is missing.

Originally Posted by CT8
i used MT 90 in my 92 and 06 4X4s Tacomas manual transmissions

This is what I was thinking, or possibly amsoils gl-4.

Typically manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers (say 90ish % if not 100 IME , no evidence or proof though), not yellow metal gears or journal bearings etc .
I'm very confident this yota manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers . Tcase I'm not so sure as some may not have yellow metals .
GL4 is about 'smooth shift' .Period. Though GL5 (often friction reducing) of similar viscosity grade typically offers higher MOFT and gears/bearings components protection .
If 'smooth shift' is of no concern to one, by all means carry on with a GL5 IMO .

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
Typically manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers (say 90ish % if not 100 IME , no evidence or proof though), not yellow metal gears or journal bearings etc .
I'm very confident this yota manual transmission has yellow metal synchronisers . Tcase I'm not so sure as some may not have yellow metals .
GL4 is about 'smooth shift' .Period. Though GL5 (often friction reducing) of similar viscosity grade typically offers higher MOFT and gears/bearings components protection .
If 'smooth shift' is of no concern to one, by all means carry on with a GL5 IMO .

I am definitely going to go with GL-4 in the transmission and t case as well I suppose.

Back