1990 Mazda Miata oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sticky topic
So, when you ask for advice, tell us about your car! The more details, the better. Here are the essential points:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
3. Where you live
4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
6. Whether your car has any known problems

1. 1990 Mazda Miata 1.6L, manual transmission, 83K miles
2. The owner's manual recommends an API SF or SG oil, and provides this chart for viscosity:
1990OilSpec.gif

3. Atlanta, GA (FYI, I plan to use the same oil all year 'round.)
4. I drive it hard, with regular excursions to near-redline. (What do you expect? It's only got 115 horsepower!) I also autocross.
5. My daily drive is currently 30 miles commuting in each direction, half freeway and half city / congested freeway. By the next oil change, my daily drive will have changed to much shorter trips (e.g. 5 miles), and 90%+ city.
6. The car has a little of the lifter HLA tick that's common to Miatas, usually only noticeable after an autocross run. Otherwise, it's in excellent condition.

I'm currently using Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 with a 3000-mile OCI (which matches the previous owner's practice -- I only bought the car a few thousand miles ago) and a Fram Ultra XG7317 filter (which is a slightly larger size than OEM).

I like the Fram filters because there's hardly any clearance for a tool in the Miata engine bay and their grippy texture lets me unscrew them by hand. However, I'm a little scared of the quality (at least for the orange can or ToughGuard), which is why I'm currently using the Ultra.

I have the following questions:

1. As a general principle I like Valvoline NextGen Synthetic (I use it in my truck), but it only comes in 5W-30. Would that be better or worse for my Miata engine than the 10W-30 I'm using now? (They're the same brand and equally synthetic, so -- if Valvoline is to be believed -- the only difference is the viscosity.) I'd like to use the NextGen, but if 10W-30 is better I'll stick with the SynPower. EDIT: Also, if anybody recommends going up to 10W-40, tell me if you think Shell Rotella T6 is appropriate, since it's cheap and I use it in my other other car, a TDI).

2. Should I extend my OCI, and/or use the filter for multiple oil changes, or should I stick with the 3000-mile interval because of the high-RPM use?

3. Since my engine is so old (and designed for old oils), should I be using ZDDP additives or other things like that? (For that matter, should I be worried about 10% ethanol fuel?)

Last edited:
I don't think the engine will care if you use 5w30 or 10w30, the 5w30 would be preferred below 0F.

I would extend the changes out probably, 5k at least on synthetic.

I wouldn't use additives.

Personally I run my Fram Ultras for every bit of 15k, they have a high capacity, you can bet they handle it. I change my oil at least every 5k, I just leave the Ultra on and don't touch it til it has 15k on it.

Synpower at 3000mi is overkill.

If you're gonna change that early and aren't tracking the car then use conventional.

Looks like you have a wide range to choose from too.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
T6 comes in 0W 40 and 5W 40. Use either.

Yes a 0w40 or 5w40 can be used too, but if your oil temperatures aren't elevated they shouldn't be "needed"

xW-40 oils have usually shown to shed less iron in the NA Miata motors. I run 0W-40 Mobil 1 in my 96 with 8000 mile OCI. Good luck so far (60k miles under my ownership) and it's quieted down the HLAs quite a bit. I'm not super easy on it either...I don't race it any more but it sees 4000 RPM on a daily basis, frequently 5000.

Mazda must have some pretty great seals too. Mine was clearly run on various dino oils until I got it in 2012. I switched to syn right away (67k on the car). Even now some of the seals weep, but no big leaks.

No worries about 10% ethanol fuel. No need for oil additives. If you autocross stick to a lower OCI, but even Mazda's severe service OCI is 5000 miles.

T6 is great. I'd run it in mine. No personal experience with its extended OCI abilities though.

Side note: Despite us having (essentially) the same engine, it makes me chuckle how, between 1989 and 1996, Mazda submitted to the CAFE overlords. The oil chart in my manual says nothing more than 10W-30 unless it's below freezing, then only 5W30.

Change out your tranny to redline and run valvoline maxlife full syn 5w30/10w30 with liquimoly mos2.Clean your throttle body with crc gdi cleaner and run gumout all in one in fuel tank too. Welcome to bitog.com

All suggestions here are good. I'd consider Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic in either 5W-30 or 10W-30. Mobil 1 High Mileage in the same weights might work well also. But anything suggested or you've been using here is fine. I would prefer to go a bit thicker in high heat of Atlanta summers...

I use 5W–30 synthetic in mine. No issues. Check out miata.net. Mobil 0w-40 seems a popular choice there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back