oil, filter, ZDDP, and OCI for 2009 miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I’d like some input on how to manage the oil and oil filter in my miata. I’ll follow the format from the second thread:

1. 2009 Miata, 60k miles.
2. Owner’s manual says 5w-20, or 5w-30 if 5w-20 is not avail. Quality designation SM or ILSAC. Change intervals either 7.5k miles (1 year) or 5k miles (4 months). Currently running Mobile 1 EP 0w-20 and mobile 1 oil filter (extended, higher end version) based on bob’s rec. I’m likely to go with the shorter recommended OCI for safety. Current at 5k miles and the oil has turned a darker brown but it’s still healthy looking.
3. Pac Northwest
4. I drive hard but I don’t redline it, driving it like it was intended especially shifting through the gears. I take a lot of longer trips mixed in with daily driving in the city, usually not in stop and go traffic, and I take it easy until the car’s properly warmed up.
5. I don’t have a daily. Some days it’s a 5 minute drive through 30 mph and 5 stoplights. Others it’s an 800 mile drive across the Rocky Mountains. At least 40% of the start ups are longer trips, as are 80-85% of the miles, much of it cruising, but I don’t hestiate really drive it when there’s an opportunity. It will be driven in the winter also, it’s my only car.
6. Car has no known problems and I recently did a 60k maintenance, new spark plugs, etc.

Preferences are whatever is going to be best for the car and make it last the longest. I want to be able to run it hard but I do put a lot of 3-4k RPM miles on the car with burst of 5-7k. (redlines at over 7k). I prefer to spend money on oil rather on repairs.

I don’t care where I source is. I just want it to be the best for the engine and my style of driving to extend longevity. I plan to stick with the factory recommended OCI, but I am curious if the OCI can be extended with the synthetic oils. ?

Also, I read that Mobile 1 EP has 800 zinc levels, as opposed to their AFE brand with 600. The Euro formula has 1100. I’m wondering if 800 is sufficient or if I need more either through an additive or different oil?

Thanks for the input guys!!!!

Originally Posted By: ragtophardtop
..I want to be able to run it hard but I do put a lot of 3-4k RPM miles on the car with burst of 5-7k. (redlines at over 7k).
I prefer to spend money on oil rather on repairs..

These engines are virtually bulletproof and can be (are!) flogged mercilessly without a whimper on even the most pedestrian lubricants.

It a modern engine. The word zddp shouldn't even be in your vocabulary its such a non issue for modern oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back