Oil & filter recommendations for 91 Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1991 Miata w/ 138k on the odometer. I am the 2nd owner, first were my folks. All previous work on car was done at the dealership including oil changes. I am in the process of adding a turbo so will be changing over to a full syn oil. What are your recommendations? I was thinking either Syntec or Redline in 10W-30 with a Wix XP filter and changes every 5K. Car will be a daily with no track or autocross days.

Being that you are in Bone Chill Minnesota and are adding a turbo, use a 0W40. It'll be thin when you need it. 10W30 is antiquated and not something I'd use if my car was sitting out in -15F weather.
Use a Porsche A40 spec 0W40 such as Castrol Edge from Walmart. Order it online and pick up in store if it's not available in yours locally.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Being that you are in Bone Chill Minnesota and are adding a turbo, use a 0W40. It'll be thin when you need it. 10W30 is antiquated and not something I'd use if my car was sitting out in -15F weather.
Use a Porsche A40 spec 0W40 such as Castrol Edge from Walmart. Order it online and pick up in store if it's not available in yours locally.

I'm not in bone chill MN, I am in soggy Western WA. Rare to see +15F let alone -15F. The car had 5W30 when I got it and the HLAs were clattering pretty good, the 10w30 seemed to quiet things down.

This doesn't make a lot of sense because at operating temperature 5W30's tend to be a tad thicker than 10W30's at least in ISLAC grades.

I would be tempted to use a Chevron Delo or other 10W30 HDEO since you are not tracking the vehicle.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40 changed every 5k miles along with a Fram Ultra (XG7317) changed every 10k miles in my three Miatas (91 and two 95s). You can get everything at Wallyworld whenever you need it, and my UOAs have always come out very well. First and second generation street driven Miatas are very easy on oil whether they're turbocharged or normally aspirated.

The turbo on my wife's 94 Miata was water cooled which no doubt helped keep oil temperatures reasonable, but I recommend you install some hood insulation above the turbo to avoid destroying the paint on the hood, The clear coat on my wife's Miata driver side hood was shot within a few months.

Good luck with the HLA clatter. I have had some success with Rotella T-6 changed at short intervals on another Miata. The clatter would go away after an oil change, and come back when the car needed another change several thousand miles later. Eventually, after 20k or 30k miles of regular maintenance combined with vigorous driving the clatter went away for good. None of my present Miatas clatter, but they've all used fully synthetic oil changed at regular intervals from early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back