1989 Isuzu Trooper

When I was in 9th grade in Memphis around 1994, a buddy lived in Mississippi, where the age to get a drivers license was 15.

He got one of these, and it’s a miracle we never rolled it with the shenanigans we pulled.

You never told us, how did you run across this? Did you know them, or were you searching ?
Yeah last summer a coworker of mine drove it to our maintenance hangar after he bought it and I told him I wanted it.

So now I have it.

I've been searching for something simple for a while and this fits the bill. It's so much fun to drive. 80's cars are the best.

Last edited:
Didn't you used to have a late model VW CUV? Seems a step back--not judging, just marveling. Not that I can say much, at one time I had an '04 VW Jetta GLS and now I have an ancient Camry. But I have to wonder, do you miss any perks? My VW, if I left a door open, it would turn off the interior lights after half hour or whatever--this Camry will just kill the battery (I think). Not only that, but close the door, and the light immediately goes out--no pause, no slow dim feature. The things we get used to...

Looks cool. I had an '86 Pup eons ago. Not nearly as cool!

Didn't you used to have a late model VW CUV? Seems a step back--not judging, just marveling. Not that I can say much, at one time I had an '04 VW Jetta GLS and now I have an ancient Camry. But I have to wonder, do you miss any perks? My VW, if I left a door open, it would turn off the interior lights after half hour or whatever--this Camry will just kill the battery (I think). Not only that, but close the door, and the light immediately goes out--no pause, no slow dim feature. The things we get used to...

Looks cool. I had an '86 Pup eons ago. Not nearly as cool!
The Touareg is an SUV...

And I still have it.

20221118_150107.jpg

Last edited:
Cool beans. I rather like my old Camry too. Daughter seems to also, and we've both driven our late model Camry with various LCD's.

I'm sorta, kinda on the hunt for something that is simpler than the new stuff too...I've been getting the "Why are you looking at that?" from friends too but I tell them the stuff I'm looking at is easily $10-15K less than even the much used stuff I've looked at over the last two years...

Will prices come down on used stuff???...I have seen some prices come down a little on used stuff but I think we are still at least a couple of years before prices get anywhere near what was normal before the pandemic...if they ever do.

Cool Trooper...enjoy that old workhorse...she looks great

Bill

Isuzu was weird back then - Japanese built but they also hit up GM’s parts bin thanks to that corporate affiliation. I think the V6 option was the same 2.8L used in the S-10 or Chevy Celebrity/Corsica/Beretta of that time .....
A co-worker had one of those, although I think it was a 3.1. It was TBI..... A lot like the ones in the GM "dustbuster" minivans.

I actually saw a 1st gen Trooper the other day ago - but it was nowhere as nice as yours.

Isuzu was weird back then - Japanese built but they also hit up GM’s parts bin thanks to that corporate affiliation. I think the V6 option was the same 2.8L used in the S-10 or Chevy Celebrity/Corsica/Beretta of that time before their in-house 3.2L V6?
I think mostly they used Isuzu engines (2.6, 3.2, and 3.5) but a lot had GM automatic transmissions like the 4L-30E

Back