1989 Ford MAP Sensor problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 1989 Bronco with the 5.8 I have been having problems with the MAP sensor. It went bad in February. Truck wouldn't idle or rev. Replaced with this one from AAP:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/Par...chedFrom=header

It fixed the problem and lasted a few months then went bad again. I replaced it with another one from AAP under warranty and that one failed again today. Pulling the codes confirms its once again the MAP sensor. I know BWD/Standard motor products has 2 different "lines" of products and this is the "T" which is the cheaper one. My question is could something else be killing the sensors or am I just getting bad ones?

MAPs don't like moisture.Maybe there is liquid vapor in your vacuum lines.

That is an odd one. A lot of times when you pulled off the vac line to a bad MAP it would have that clear potting jelly in it used to protect the guts from moisture. Double ck connector for water intrusion, or corrosion.

MAPs are just one component that I never noticed problems with. I replaced a handful over the years. Most problems were with connectors, and vac lines to it.

Aftermarket sensors are usually not as good as the OE sensor. That can easily explain the quick failure after replacing the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back