1989 Chevy K2500 Rear diff lube? High miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on replacing all the fluids in my plow truck this summer and wanted opinions on gear oil for the rear diff. I believe factory recommendations are for 80w-90, but truck is high mileage and has been a commercial plow rig most of it's life. The rear end has some play in it but doesn't whine or anything when going down the road.

Also, any benefit of synthetic over conventional? I'm thinking a 75w-110

Originally Posted By: 4WD
How long in time and miles will the new fluid be in use ?

Honestly, truck mostly plows and hauls firewood, occasionally might be tasked to haul 5,000-6,000lb trailer (rarely) It might see 500 miles a year on a good year. lol.

Ok ... then no need for Amsoil or Delvac 1 ... but still don't want it to fail .... I'd just run a car parts store synthetic like Mobil 1'or Valvoline ...

The 90wt range designation was split into two. Thus 115 was born to capture the heavier end. I think it would be prudent to try to get some 115 viscosity lube, but i dont think you need much fancy for those conditions.

Don't forget to replace the front diff too!

Did you see the price ? The Mobil 1 gear oils tend to have a price jump on 140's ... think it's due to PAO ...

I plow with an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360, 3 speed auto tranny. I drive about the same, 500 miles a year, mostly a few neighbors and myself and some inlaws, then parked in the barn till next snow season. The last thing you want is any part of your drive train to struggle or fail. I would use AMSOIL SVG 80-90 in BOTH differentials and then what ever syn fits your transfer case recommendations, most likely a motor oil, again I used Amsoil front to back including my tranny. You can pretty much count on never having to replace the fluids again either with the low miles you are driving, its a one time shot, why not use what is the Best for your rig, not what is the cheapest.
The heat and stress that plowing puts on your truck is amazing. Pushing 750 lbs of snow 50 or 100 feet over and over is really hard on especially the tranny. When you start out in the morning in Maine at zero degrees you want your differential gears moving right away. My 2 cents worth.
smile.gif
Use the Locator on Amsoil's webpage, you can probably find what you need locally or PM Pablo here for his 'specials' .

Originally Posted By: Click
I plow with an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360, 3 speed auto tranny. I drive about the same, 500 miles a year, mostly a few neighbors and myself and some inlaws, then parked in the barn till next snow season. The last thing you want is any part of your drive train to struggle or fail. I would use AMSOIL SVG 80-90 in BOTH differentials and then what ever syn fits your transfer case recommendations, most likely a motor oil, again I used Amsoil front to back including my tranny. You can pretty much count on never having to replace the fluids again either with the low miles you are driving, its a one time shot, why not use what is the Best for your rig, not what is the cheapest.
The heat and stress that plowing puts on your truck is amazing. Pushing 750 lbs of snow 50 or 100 feet over and over is really hard on especially the tranny. When you start out in the morning in Maine at zero degrees you want your differential gears moving right away. My 2 cents worth.
smile.gif
Use the Locator on Amsoil's webpage, you can probably find what you need locally or PM Pablo here for his 'specials' .

Nice ride, always wanted a Wagoneer... At this point I'm leaning towards synthetics maybe a 75w-140 for the rear. I'm not confident in a 90wt protecting my worn rear diff if I have to work it hard in the summer. The front end will probably get a 75w-90. The trans is a TH400 and will likely get Castrol Dex/Merc along with the transfer case.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would go to WM and get ST 85W-140. I doubt there would be much benefit using synthetic or any other expensive product.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Did you see the price ? The Mobil 1 gear oils tend to have a price jump on 140's ... think it's due to PAO ...

Valvoline 75w140 synthetic also is significantly more expensive than their 75w90 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back