1988 Dodge B250 oil choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
This sir is a nice van. Thank you. It's a keeper.

Yea, I am so lucky I found it. I looked for a good half year daily and looked at around 20 vans. I was being picky because I wanted something I can keep for a long long time. This is why I came here to ensure I use the best oil to keep the motor chugging along. I still have to clay bar, wax and then fluid film the underside before winter arrives. Thanks

Had an '86 B150 with the 318 back in the day.
Bucket seats up front with 2 benches in the back.
I beat the snot out of it in my late teens and early 20s.
I used 5w-30 and 10w-30 and never could tell the difference.
Ended up getting 180k out of it.

Boy I miss that thing.....

That van is clean. Any of the brand name 5W30 oils in dino or synthetic should be fine. If it has any leaks I'd opt for a HM 5W30.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That van is clean. Any of the brand name 5W30 oils in dino or synthetic should be fine. If it has any leaks I'd opt for a HM 5W30.

Why 5w30 instead of the recommended 10w30? Any benefits etc?

Originally Posted by petes67bird
Originally Posted by demarpaint

Why 5w30 instead of the recommended 10w30? Any benefits etc?

The benefit would be better cold weather starting, depending on where you live. I have an E-150 from 1988, it specs 10W30 as well. As soon as 5W30 became mainstream I made the switch. It made a noticeable difference when I would make trips to the Adirondacks in January and February and wake up to sub zero temps.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that 10w-30 in ‘88 was non resource conserving. M1 HM 10w-30 is a thick 10w-30 and so are most 10w-30 HDEO.

I'd run some variety of 10w-40 or the M1 mentioned above

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Keep in mind that 10w-30 in ‘88 was non resource conserving. M1 HM 10w-30 is a thick 10w-30 and so are most 10w-30 HDEO.

It really does not matter because of the VI's used in 88 along with the group I it sheard within a few hundred miles of use.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010

It really does not matter because of the VI's used in 88 along with the group I it sheard within a few hundred miles of use.

Lol, so am I OK just sticking with HM 10w30. Going Friday for my complete vehicle inspection and fluid cganges

I went back and looked at the fuel economy logs I keep for the cross country trips I've made with the B2500. I've tried everything from 5w-20 to 10w-40 in ALL flavors (even the AFM type). Best fuel economy was with the M1 HM 10w-30 so I went back (and stayed with that). Trips were around 5,000 miles each.

Poor fuel economy

I have a 2001 5.2 and it nickel and dim s you, ended up replacing the intake with an aftermarket one and most issues stopped, electronic ignition isn't really watertight for some reason rather irritating rig

OK, I am just gonna stick with the Valvoline max life 10w30 and call it a day. Should be good enough and I am sure I will have tougher decisions coming up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back