1988 Dodge B250 Exhaust System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Just bought a 1988 Dodge B250 Conversion Van. It currently has exhaust manifolds, with dual 2.25 pipes going into what look like either glasspacks or smaller type mufflers. They then exit behind each rear tire. So it is a dual exhaust, no cats, just two mufflers. I want to replace the mufflers with something that will have a nice and deep grumble, but that wont have horrible drone inside the conversion van. Thanks

1988? I'd let the local exhaust shop weld something up and ask them what they like for mufflers. otherwise you're looking at $$ for boutique systems.

Be sure to install a cross pipe between the two pipes. It makes for a much more pleasant tone and reduces sound volume too. Without it, it'll sound like two four-bangers.

Originally Posted by RoadDukie
Be sure to install a cross pipe between the two pipes. It makes for a much more pleasant tone and reduces sound volume too. Without it, it'll sound like two four-bangers.

funny you say that, I have called about 8 different custom exhaust shops and each has told me that a H pipe or X pipe is not needed and will provide my vehicle with no benefit. They said because I have a 318 with only 147 horsepower, I will not see any gain or sound difference. I asked if I should go back to a 2.25/3" y pipe then into a 3" Single inlet and 2.5" dual outlet for better scavenging because this is what flowmaster told me to do and each shop said it will just be cheaper with keeping the pipes i have. I even told them that where the old cats were are just patched in and there is an old pipe for the old smog pump that is about six inches long coming off the driver exhaust and its just welded shut. They said no issue keeping it on there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep
1988? I'd let the local exhaust shop weld something up and ask them what they like for mufflers. otherwise you're looking at $$ for boutique systems.

They told me to just find mufflers I like and they add those and add tips. They told me to keep my duals without the crossover and it will be fine. I have called at least 8 different custom shops. They all said the same thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by petes67bird

They told me to just find mufflers I like and they add those and add tips. They told me to keep my duals without the crossover and it will be fine. I have called at least 8 different custom shops. They all said the same thing.

This is the cheapest solution, yes.

Get some Walker mufflers for $24.95 each and put them in.

Originally Posted by Linctex

This is the cheapest solution, yes.

Get some Walker mufflers for $24.95 each and put them in.

How would the walkers compare to Flowmaster Super 50? Those are what I was leaning towards. I do want something with some nice deep tones. I do not want quiet at idle and throttle.

Last edited:
I like the Dynomax mufflers
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

which ones, the dynomax ultra weld I am not sure if it will be too quiet. I had the race bullets on my F150 and liked them.

You're probably losing power with dual exhaust on that engine. Run all 2.5" pipe and a raptor turbo style muffler and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
You're probably losing power with dual exhaust on that engine. Run all 2.5" pipe and a raptor turbo style muffler and call it a day.

Flowmaster told me to run 2.25 off the manifolds into their Y pipe that will then be a 3" pipe to a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5 outlet muffler that I can terminate behind each tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny

Flowmaster told me to run 2.25 off the manifolds into their Y pipe that will then be a 3" pipe to a single 3" inlet and dual 2.5 outlet muffler that I can terminate behind each tire.

Sounds like you got a package ready to go

one of my old exhaust guys who is out of state got back to me. He states that he would take the duals off. He said he would take the 2.25 piping off. He says the van is naturally aspirated and recommends this setup. 2" piping from the manifolds to a smooth transition y pipe, 2.25 single pipe to a 2.25 single in and 2.25 dual out magnaflow 5x8x18 muffler.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

which ones, the dynomax ultra weld I am not sure if it will be too quiet. I had the race bullets on my F150 and liked them.

The Ultra or the Super Turbo are both good mufflers. The Super Turbo is quieter than the Ultra

I have the same engine though it is a roller cam and rated at 185 hp. Same vehicle too.

I have a magnaflow cat at the y pipe going into a Flowmaster 50 series over 2.25 pipe.

I liked the tone and rumble at first. Now I wish I got something quieter.

Its a 318. Its not going to impress anybody. A loud rumble that barely increases tempo with the pedal to the floor and a 0 to 60 time of 12 seconds makes little sense to want a loud burble.

I never noticed any gain in power or mpg when i got the new exhaust installed.
Very much regret getting the Flowmaster 50 and wish it were quieter.

But it has held up well 14 years now. Surface rust at weld seams only

Originally Posted by RoadDukie

+1 on the crossover pipe. Dump the G-Paks and get some double pass mufflers. Walker makes some with tone and no drone
smile.gif

IME Flowmasters drone, even the "delta flow". I prefer DynoMax (which is a division of Walker).

Flowmasters advice is sound. Muffler shop advice is the cheap and easy way out. Are the existing pipes in decent shape.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
IME Flowmasters drone, even the "delta flow". I prefer DynoMax (which is a division of Walker).

Flowmasters advice is sound. Muffler shop advice is the cheap and easy way out. Are the existing pipes in decent shape.

Yea, the pipes are decent. So I sort of went a cheap way out by method of buying best deals I could find. Amazon warehouse was having a sale for 20 percent off warehouse products. I found a Magnaflow dual in dual out 2.25 muffler in like new condition for 36 dollars, model # 11378. I then found 2 stainless exhaust tips for 13 a piece, 8" long and are 2.25 inlet to 3". So for 50 dollars I got a decent setup. Hope the muffler will sound OK and not poppy. Supposedly has the internal x pipe in the muffler.

So it was too much cost to install the mufflers as the pipes had to be modified quite a bit. I had the tips installed and just gave the guy the muffler for the tips as I would only get about 30 dollars back on the magnaflow as it is. I currently have 24" glass packs and it's not loud and doesn't drone. Would the 22" bullets be a tad bit louder? Not looking to spend over 100 on a pair of mufflers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back