1979 Fiat Strada review from Bob Mayer, WTVJ Miami

My folks bought a 1975 rabbit when I was 4. I started driving it at 16yo. 1.5l 4cyl carb engine with 63(?) hp. and 4 speed manual. They had that car almost 20 years. It was actually fun to drive as a 16yo.

View attachment 144963
Driving a slow car fast is way more enjoyable...something you can take near the ragged edge without infringing on too many traffic laws...

The 85 Omni i mentioned we had earlier... Mom Drove it until '90, then it went to my brother after his '79 Grand Prix was Stolen, He moved to Dallas in that Car, then My Uncle flew down, and bought it from him for our cousin (Dallas w/no A/C... my brother bought something else as soon as he could...) My Cousin had to Junk it before I was old enough to drive in '95... Floor boards rusted through... and one of the plugs liked to work it's way loose every couple thousand miles.... Rusted out in less than 10 yrs.

Last edited:
I had a '72 124 Sport Coupe. Drove very nicely. Believe it or not a 25,000 mile timing belt interval. Very poor corrosion protection, which was a significant negative. If well maintained, at least the mechanicals were pretty robust.

I've never had a car since, though, that would rubber-band so much in first gear...

'Boy would that 1600cc engine joyously rev!
I also had a 72 Fiat Sport coupe. Great drivers car.
Great engineering: Weber carb, DOHC engine, disc brakes, fully synchronized 5 speed.
Poor execution: Quick to rust. Burning oil @ 80,000 miles
I remember 60,000 miles or thereabouts as timing belt service. I had mine done when head gasket failed at that mileage. My only service issue with the car. More reliable than my 1964 AH Sprite

I watched a bunch of his car reviews, neat retro stuff! It’s amazing the poor level of quality people accepted back then in brand-new cars!

Back