1969 Pontiac Owner's Manual

I went down an Internet rabbit hole and found myself reading the model year 1969 Pontiac owner's manual. I thought the oil specs might be of interest.

Old Car Manual Project

Oil and ATF change intervals are on the previous and next pages.

Oil: 4 months/6000 miles, whichever is first. 2/3000 for severe service.
ATF: 2 years/24,000. 12,000 miles for severe service.

Original Dexron always had a 24,000 mile normal service interval, Though people rarely ever followed that. I can certainly smell old Dexron from a mile away.....It's a foul/sweet odor is about the best I can describe.

I had a '68 GTO for a couple of years in the mid 70's. The link to the owner's manual shows a recommendation of 10W20 for Winter use in HO engines. I'm sure I had never heard of that weight at the time. I was a fool that used straight QS or Pennz 40 wt. racing oil much of the year (was that oil even detergent?) and 10W40 QS in Winter. I know that I stuck to 3k mi. OCI's.

I went down an Internet rabbit hole and found myself reading the model year 1969 Pontiac owner's manual. I thought the oil specs might be of interest.

Old Car Manual Project

Oil and ATF change intervals are on the previous and next pages.

Oil: 4 months/6000 miles, whichever is first. 2/3000 for severe service.
ATF: 2 years/24,000. 12,000 miles for severe service.
That 5W recommendation freaked me out. 😳

I think the owner's manual for my 70 Monte Carlo says something similar. It's been a while since I've looked at it but that info sounds familiar.

The owner's manual for my '63 Bonneville had similar oil recommendations. I think I still have the manual someplace. The 10W and 20W stands out....

Back