1911's - what trips your trigger

For me - I don't care if it's a 70 or an 80, I've shot a lot of 80's that were just as clean/crisp/glassy as a 70s regarding triggers.

I don't like bobtails.

I don't like carrying one. It's almost as uncomfortable as my 92X - even though I carried one for the better part of 20 years. I grew up on them, so for a long time I carried what I saw as God's caliber. Modern ammo definitely changed my mind.

I don't like Commander sized ones either. Gods caliber requires a long barrel ;)

I do not carry in condition 1. Over 40 years of shooting, I have zero problems decocking one and it's still muscle memory to cock it - same as when I carried my old raggedy Hi-Power and the FEG clone I had for a number of years.

And it should be a .45, though I'm over here coveting a RIA double stack 10mm......

A 1911 trigger cannot be beat. No striker fired gun that I've ever shot comes close to even a cheaper 1911.

I have a Para 1911 and a Colt 1991A1 and enjoy them both. A Colt Gold Cup and a nickel or bright stainless 38 super are both on my future wish list..

For me - I don't care if it's a 70 or an 80, I've shot a lot of 80's that were just as clean/crisp/glassy as a 70s regarding triggers.

I don't like bobtails.

I don't like carrying one. It's almost as uncomfortable as my 92X - even though I carried one for the better part of 20 years. I grew up on them, so for a long time I carried what I saw as God's caliber. Modern ammo definitely changed my mind.

I don't like Commander sized ones either. Gods caliber requires a long barrel ;)

I do not carry in condition 1. Over 40 years of shooting, I have zero problems decocking one and it's still muscle memory to cock it - same as when I carried my old raggedy Hi-Power and the FEG clone I had for a number of years.

And it should be a .45, though I'm over here coveting a RIA double stack 10mm......

A 1911 trigger cannot be beat. No striker fired gun that I've ever shot comes close to even a cheaper 1911.
I don't want to carry a 1911 anymore, either, and gave in and switched to Glocks. That's not too say I prefer them. They're just more practical, reliable, disposable, etc. I do carry a Delta Elite occasionally when afield. My other remaining 1911 is a stainless Series 80 that I cheated, err, swapped for from a buddy who'd sent it off to Ed Brown to have it worked over back in the nineties. State of the art 30 years ago, lol.

Can't say that I approve of condition 2 carry, but to each their own.

I started out with a new condition .45 Gold Cup in 1974 I bought used from a friend's dad. My next one was a workman's 70 Series Colt Commander in nickel I picked up used. Then a blued 80 Series Commander. Finally, a blued Para P13. The last 3 all steel framed) were $400 each used (the Para might have been 50 bucks cheaper, if I remember correctly).
The Para needed cleaning and a new mag to function and I assume the seller thought it was defective and let it go cheap. I suspect the factory mag was kept loaded for years and it was never cleaned. Easy fix.
My go to gun is the nickel 70 Series Commander.
P.S. I don't carry concealed, so that isn't a consideration.

please elaborate.....you dont carry 45 because 9mm ammo is better these days?
No. Not at all better today. 30 years ago, it was a very different story.

Today, per the FBI, it takes 2 rounds to typically incapacitate a threat, whether it's .45, .357 SIG, .40, or 9mm.

If I'm going to have to hit Mr. Malignant twice, I'd much prefer to carry my little LC9 with 8 than a .45 with 8 and be more comfortable to the Nth. If studies showed that .45 was a ton better, I'd probably still be lugging one around.

I look at it like this - 30 years ago a Hydrashok was a premium 9mm round. Today, Hydrashoks are pretty far down the ladder.

I’m completely over them after owning several. They’re fantastic when they work, but they’re just too finicky for me. Tuning extractors, fitting barrel bushings… been there, done that, don’t got the time for it.

I do see historical significance to owning an old one though.

I've written a lengthy thread on one of my 1911s. Here - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/the-tale-of-the-dan-wesson-razorback.338905/ Bit of a saga...

TL;DR - Expensive gun. Stainless steel 10mm. Sweet trigger. It took some sorting. Now it is 100% reliable.

All of my .45 ACP 1911s have been 100% out of the box. My first SA 10mm took a bit of tweaking. The 10mm Ronin that Mrs. Astro gave me for Christmas has been 100% out of the box.

So, would I rely on a 1911 for defense? Absolutely. Once the gun is proven, it is proven.

I require any gun on which I rely for defense to be proven. Glock, S&W, whatever, it has to show reliability with the selected ammo (usually Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST) and with the magazines I intend to use.

The only 1911s with which I have had any trouble are the ones that were both tightly fitted and in a different caliber.

Lightweight Commanders with thin grips are my thing, I have 3 and no other 1911’s. A LW Commander carries really well OWB under a sport coat or winter clothing.

I know they are popular but I can’t warm up to a 1911 in 9mm.

I have had no issues at all with mine, they just run.

I have a Para 1911 and a Colt 1991A1 and enjoy them both. A Colt Gold Cup and a nickel or bright stainless 38 super are both on my future wish list..
.38 Super is great. I had access to one for a while and grandpa had a couple.

I actually found a mostly full box of .38 super in my odds and ends ammo box that I didn't know I had.

How available and expensive .38 Super ammo is? How compatible with other guns? I thought so, not worth it for a carry gun.
It's definitely less common than .45 or 9mm and probably twice as expensive as 9mm when buying in large amounts. There are only a few guns other than the 1911 that are chambered for it. Sig makes some.

Oddly enough, .38 Super has been a lot more popular in Mexico and Latin America than in the US, though maybe not as much any more. They have laws that banned civilians from using military calibers which may have had something to do with it.

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Long trigger, fitted barrel bushing, slightly worked sear, EGW fitted firing pin stop, extended thumb safety. Accurate and soft shooting.
I think if I ever bought a 1911, that is what I would go with. Mil-Spec looks nice, and although my military service did not include the use of the 1911, it just seems right.

Does your have the wood grips?

Mine is a 1941 Remington Rand. All original except the barrel which I replaced due to wear. It's 100% reliable and accurate enough. Looks great, shoots great, and it's nice to own and use a piece of real history. Made during the war, I wish it could tell its story.

Back