18k on oil filter, yeesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did a OC on my friends cavalier about 4k miles ago (14k on oil and filter)...i put in qs horsepower synthetic and could not get to filter...anyways how long do filters last and what are the repercussions of not changing it?....he didnt even care i changed the oil or left old filter on

the filter could be clogged up thus dirtying the new oil. kinda pointless to change the oil if u aren't gonna change the filter. i'd do it if possible, even if its with the cheapest filter you can find.

I wouldn't mess with it anymore. If he doesn't care about his own car, why should you?

I tend to agree with, wcbcruzer, but now that you've gone tried to be helpful, if anything happens it will be your fault.

If this is a 2.2L OHV engine with the filter on the back of the engine, you have two options to replacing thwe filter..
A. Reach back behind the engine, from the top and remove it from there.
B. Turn the tires almost full lock to the left and go in behind the passenger wheel.

I would change the filter very soon but the manual for my 95 Neon specifically stated that the filter was good for two oil changes. Two "highway miles" changes gets close to 18K miles. It is a fairly large filter for a 2.0L so maybe that was their thinking that the filter had enough area not to be loaded up after one OCI.
I change the filter every time anyways, just to be safe.
Ian

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
I wouldn't mess with it anymore. If he doesn't care about his own car, why should you?

I would agree. If he did not even care you changed the oil for him, let him find out on his own he should.

Hmmm,

I do 20K miles on my oversized oil filters, but I change the oil at 7K, 7K and 6K miles. I no longer change it every 10K miles.

Why ?

I feel that no harm is done going that many miles.

Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer

Agreed. They are tough engines, but that might be playing with fire there....

I've never had any problems with changing the oil filter on the 2.2 OHV in the sunfire. usually big dudes with pipe arms do
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back