18 month oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

My daughter has been overseas for the past 18 months and will be returning later this month. She left her 2007 Malibu here for me to store while she's gone. When she left it, it was due an oil change so I changed the oil and filter. The oil I used was QS 5W30 that was here in the shop for some reason, and I might have drove the car 200 miles. Each time I started it I drove it no less than 10 miles.

Should I change the oil and filter before I haul it out to her or leave the QS in it? I'm flip flopping on changing the oil -- I messed around and cut a tendon off in my right hand a few weeks ago so now I stuck using the wrong hand for everything. The OLM is at 95% I think.

+1

change it

GM says that the oil needs to be changed at least once a year regardless of mileage, so I would do it for nothing more than warranty protection. This is in the owner's manual.

There's probably more gained by changing it than gained in savings by not changing it.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
There's probably more gained by changing it than gained in savings by not changing it.

I'm just dreading doing a one handed oil change.

The truth is that there is probably nothing wrong with that oil.

But if warranty is a concern, change it.

Any bitog member close to him that would be willing to help?

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I'd leave it. I've never seen any information suggesting that oil goes bad just from sitting in the oil pan.
+1

your oil is in perfect condition. cars sometimes stay on the dealer lot for over a year before being put into service, and if they're not driven much by the owner, another year can go by before an oil change is done. Just go to the store, and buy some oil and filter, and say that you did an oil change. You will have a receipt to prove it. that way you don't have to worry about warranty issues. your oil is fine. if you're worried, take it out for a one hour run to heat it up nice, to make sure any condensation or fuel contaminant is evaporated off.

My daughter is good for a couple of thousand miles a month so the oil won't be in there very long once she gets the car back. (She's a 3K quicky lube oil changer). Warranty is not an issue so I think I might let it ride, shoot the car has been inside the whole time. If it were mine I'd leave the oil in until the OLM said I needed to change the oil. It's a very low mile '07.

Originally Posted By: KW
My daughter is good for a couple of thousand miles a month so the oil won't be in there very long once she gets the car back. (She's a 3K quicky lube oil changer). Warranty is not an issue so I think I might let it ride, shoot the car has been inside the whole time. If it were mine I'd leave the oil in until the OLM said I needed to change the oil. It's a very low mile '07.

Good call, just
19.gif
it.

If warranty is an issue, then change it. If not, then I doubt there's anything wrong with the oil.

Here's a question, if it needs to be changed, can the filter be re-use to make the job easier for someone who's stuck using their non-dominant hand? So that way it's just the oil being changed

Could do a blotter (two drops on a white file card) let it soak in and then look at it against a bright background (light bulb). Water test (tough and dirty) is to put a drop on a spoon and hold a flame under it until it smokes. If there is not crackle or spitting, then no significant water.

One handed change? This is where a Fumoto valve would be very handy, but I would not let the quick change shop clowns attempt to install it.

Sure you could just drain and refill and not worry about the filter.
But I agree with whoever about just getting it out on the highway and driving around for an hour to get it up to temp. Or just tell her to get it out and drive it around when she gets back. The oil is good, the filter is good, you just have a little condensation in there.
Since it was parked inside you have even less condensation.

Please note that many people treat their cars worse than this and for some reason their neglected cars work well.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Jeez, just change the oil and filter!!! it's your DAUGHTER
33.gif

Naw. That's too easy. We want to obsess over stuff like this.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Jeez, just change the oil and filter!!! it's your DAUGHTER
33.gif

Naw. That's too easy. We want to obsess over stuff like this.

You ain't kidding.
grin2.gif

Since it seems like it got to full operating temp every time it was started, there is no logical reason to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back