'18 Hyundai Accent : Can HONDA Genuine coolant be used

in the '18 ACCENT ? The Honda Genuine and HYUNDA coolants are distilled / deionized and Ethylene-glycol based . The HYUNDAI also has PHOSPHATE , not sure for H.G.. The H.G. and Hyundai coolant are both non-silicate . The HONDA Genuine also states non BORATE , not aware of the Hyundai coolant . BOTH coolants are a 50/50 mix . I also think both are green . Would use the H.G. coolant to top off the resevoir to the 1/2 mark or a bit below . The ACCENT is under the LOW mark ( picture below ) , especially with the cooler temps . Here's the H.G. bottle .

IMG_9306.JPG
IMG_9289.JPG
IMG_9281.JPG
IMG_9297.JPG
IMG_9298.JPG
IMG_9299.JPG

Last edited:
Considering this . States other additives not known if they're in the HYUNDAI O.E.M. coolant .

IMG_9315.JPG
IMG_9314.JPG
IMG_9316.JPG
IMG_9317.JPG

Or is it a better / safer choice to get the HYUNDAI coolant at their parts department ? :confused:

If you're only using it to top off, buy the Zerex. If you already have the Honda coolant and again, it's only used for topping off, it should be fine too.

Its fine to top off that Hyundai with 50:50 Honda coolant. Nothing to worry about.

Make sure that it is full cold. Green/blue dye is irrelevant not not worth worrying about. No need to run out and buy bottle that'll sit on the shelf.

Its fine to top off that Hyundai with 50:50 Honda coolant. Nothing to worry about.

Make sure that it is full cold. Green/blue dye is irrelevant not not worth worrying about. No need to run out and buy bottle that'll sit on the shelf.

Will consider it . Still under warranty of the 10 year / 100,000 miles .

Warranty doesn't warrant any caution. Hyundai has always been pretty easy on coolant/antifreeze types. They also don't mandate the coolant dye color.

Topped off with existing coolant .

Before TOPPING .

IMG_9306.JPG
IMG_9329.JPG

AFTER Top Off :

IMG_9306.JPG
IMG_9450.JPG
IMG_9469.JPG

Noticed this while pulling off the cap of the resevoir . Could that assist with evaporation of coolant ( 50/50 ) ? HONDA Fit has no hole .

IMG_9475.JPG
IMG_9472.JPG
IMG_9473.JPG

Vent is needed when equipped. Don't compare different vehicles.

I prefer 50:50 over deionized water, but distilled water is always an option.

All my cars are to the full level when cold.

Your owners manual should say something like:
The coolant level should be filled between the F and the L marks on the side of the coolant reservoir when the engine is cool. If the coolant level is low, add enough distilled (deionized) water to bring the level to the F mark, but do not overfill.

Hyundai says to 1/2 mark of reservoir with 50/50 coolant for top off . The '13 FIT states fill to MAX mark . Temps in this region range from -25+ to 95+ . Thus go with 50/50 mix .

Last edited:
I recommend that you use only coolant from the dealer. I've seen Hondas have issues after using non-Honda coolant.

Your Owner's Manual tells you you can pick and use a coolant of your choice complying with those little requirements.
My Kias aren't picky on coolant and I just drain and fill every 2 years with Prestone Asian that has Kia listed on label.
Forte also has a vent hole while Sportage doesn't. I keep coolant level a finger thickness below Max mark as it expands with high temps in summer, while level will drop quite a bit in cold winters and then I just make sure it's above Min and closer to mid point between marks so I don't need to remove any excess when summer comes.

Back