17 nissan pathfinder warranty issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading that email to the effect that there is not fuel contamination in the oil since the level is below 2.0 for that data point and they are going by the level of visible sludge in the engine to claim lack of maintenance.

Question is, is there excessive wear in the engine? From the sounds of it, there wasn't even a check engine light. Just smoke on startup.

Last edited:
I misread that email copy.

I wonder if they tested for TBN? Wouldn't that indicate oil that was overdue for change?

Originally Posted by DiaQui
[
Sorry been busy at work all day. So I talked to him again, claim was denied (email attached). When i talked on the phone he said it would be $220 to put back together ($60 oil change amd reassembly). He will be sending me the pics and the results tomorrow or Monday. Said there was minimal fuel in the oil, but some water which is a result of the sludge as well as high iron I believe it was. Basically they said lack of maintenance despite my records because the ones from the shop "weren't computer printer". I'm just glad I can get it back for less than $50 bucks but we discussed me calling Nissan directly next week amd seeing of they can do more through their team. He said it's worth the extra shot.

So you are going down there to visit and see the inside of the engine and under the pan....right?
36.gif

Last edited:
Correct JTK, the fuel is well under their allowable limit and they are basing it off of the sludge. They know the oil in now is correct and 1200 miles fresh, but said "maybe someone before changed with the wrong oil" but I know that's not the case, I made sure what was put in was the correct weight at all 4 changes and records/receipts show. As for engine wear, not that I've ever noticed. It runs great except for the startup smoke....it did have a misfire because one of the plugs fouled which was resolved about a month ago.

AC1DD, I will be going there Monday, they said they wouldn't get to it till tuesday/wed so before I call I'm taking a ride up to see for myself.

Correct JTK, the fuel is well under their allowable limit and they are basing it off of the sludge. They know the oil in now is correct and 1200 miles fresh, but said "maybe someone before changed with the wrong oil" but I know that's not the case, I made sure what was put in was the correct weight at all 4 changes and records/receipts show. As for engine wear, not that I've ever noticed. It runs great except for the startup smoke....it did have a misfire because one of the plugs fouled which was resolved about a month ago.

AC1DD, I will be going there Monday, they said they wouldn't get to it till tuesday/wed so before I call I'm taking a ride up to see for myself.

Misfire for fouled plug? At 2 years and 50k miles? Seems odd.

Good thing because something doesn't seem quite right with this situation in my opinion.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Also mentioned that other dealers he worked for would have rejected it immediately and gave a cost for "putting it back together for the customer to take" which scared me into thinking are they going to charge me for the pictures they wanted in the oil pan etc that he never asked me to do just said he was doing.

Same thing happened with a Cadillac I took to the dealer for the check engine light due to timing chain stretch. They said, yea, it's under warranty. Then a few hours later they call me back saying they had started taking it apart, pulled a valve cover and found sludge, so no warranty coverage. They said I can pay $2,500 for the repair out of pocket or $500 to put it back to the way it was when brought in. I argued back and forth and settled on paying one hour labor and towed it home where I fixed it myself.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

You should have contacted GM. Why people believe dealerships determine what is covered under warranty?

Originally Posted by AC1DD

Good thing because something doesn't seem quite right with this situation in my opinion.

Exactly.

A 2yr/old vehicle with this low of mileage should not develop sludge even if it had an oil change every 12-15K miles instead of the Nissan recommended 5K mi OCI. Did someone load this thing up with cooking oil at some point?

I'd want to get my own pics and oil sample from it before things get put back together. Maybe they will goodwill a portion of the cost of engine replacement? That would probably be cheaper and less frustrating than legal action. That- or see what they would offer for trade-in allowance as is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Did you buy it from this Nissan dealer? If so then they sold you a sludged engine. If they accept your proof of 5k OCs then they have to admit it and they would probably eat the repair not Nissan.

This. If instead it was a private sale or you bought it from a used car dealer....

And I would be willing to bet it had only one, or perhaps zero oil changes before OP got it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Doubt I could have argued anything with that much sludge.

That is what corporate customer care representative employed for. Provide him/her with your documents and let Nissan tell the franchise dealership what will be done. The dealership doesn't want warranty work because it makes less money on a warranty claim and rather fleece you.

Make certain to Nissan the dealership rep is rather poor and shady in your opinion and since you have owned the vehicle it's been maintenaned better than OEM recommendation because even if you only did basic maintenance I'm sure you changed the oil prior to the recommended oil change mileage.

The dealership really doesn't have much say at all regarding warranty it's not rocket science.

Took it to the Nissan dealer who said it was a leaking injector which was getting dripping down after car was off. He did some diagnosing and said they will submit a warranty claim. The next day I received a call that they wanted him to remove the valve cover and if it was sludgy in there they would make a decision about repair or complete engine replacement. After removing he said they wanted to change the engine instead

Contact Nissan Corp directly and see about warranty coverage for replacing the leaking injector only. It seems the dealer wants to PAD the bill and get paid by you or Nissan.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Took it to the Nissan dealer who said it was a leaking injector which was getting dripping down after car was off. He did some diagnosing and said they will submit a warranty claim. The next day I received a call that they wanted him to remove the valve cover and if it was sludgy in there they would make a decision about repair or complete engine replacement. After removing he said they wanted to change the engine instead

Contact Nissan Corp directly and see about warranty coverage for replacing the leaking injector only. It seems the dealer wants to PAD the bill and get paid by you or Nissan.

The leaky injector likely caused the sludge since Nissan likely doesn't recommend use of fuel system cleaners and if regular oil changes are documented Nissan really doesn't have a leg to stand on and will in all likelihood repair the engine.

OP, you never said what you used to "flush" your crankcase. If your problems began 1,200 miles after the flush, that could be the culprit if you are able to physically inspect the engine's top end yourself and observe its condition. Personally I feel you left this in the dealer's hands for too long without eyeballing the sludge evidence yourself. Hopefully the Pathfinder's oil was never replaced with 5 quarts of used Mazola oil that someone returned to Walmart in a Pennzoil jug.

Good luck with whatever you do.

I'd want to get my own pics and oil sample from it before things get put back together. Maybe they will goodwill a portion of the cost of engine replacement? That would probably be cheaper and less frustrating than legal action. That- or see what they would offer for trade-in allowance as is.

I was thinking this when I call Monday after looking myself, if the call isn't going well, offer to pay 25% or something. He told me the cost Nissan would have covered for the replacement is $8k so even if I dropped 2k on a portion I'd feel okay. But we shall see

Unless I missed it as already being mentioned, was this bought as a "Certified Pre Owned" vehicle off the Nissan lot? If so, you may have better leverage in making them cover this under warranty than a non CPO vehicle.

This situation shows the risk of buying used with remaining OEM warranty. You are still on the hook of proving prior ownership maintenance, not the dealer.

That's not exactly accurate, one is on the hook for proving prior maintenance during second hand OEM warranty claims IF the failure is due to apparent negligence ie lack of oil changes. I'd have gone to a second dealer the minute they talked about replacing the engine on the running driving car without a rod knock or blinking CEL and some blue exhaust smoke. The injectors should be tested, if one failed it's on Nissan to replace the engine or do a full rebuild on their dime. If the injectors aren't faulty when tested by a third party nor is it a PCV or EGR issue then the simplest and most likely explanation is the prior owner only did 1-2 OC's in their entire course of ownership with either Nissan Ester oil or a Syn blend and the VQ cooked the oil, they do not like extended OCI's especially when towing or driven hard. If that is the case, the the OP has a very expensive boat anchor.

Originally Posted by GZRider
That's not exactly accurate, one is on the hook for proving prior maintenance during second hand OEM warranty claims IF the failure is due to apparent negligence ie lack of oil changes. I'd have gone to a second dealer the minute they talked about replacing the engine on the running driving car without a rod knock or blinking CEL and some blue exhaust smoke. The injectors should be tested, if one failed it's on Nissan to replace the engine or do a full rebuild on their dime. If the injectors aren't faulty when tested by a third party nor is it a PCV or EGR issue then the simplest and most likely explanation is the prior owner only did 1-2 OC's in their entire course of ownership with either Nissan Ester oil or a Syn blend and the VQ cooked the oil, they do not like extended OCI's especially when towing or driven hard. If that is the case, the the OP has a very expensive boat anchor.

It's the case of did the chicken or egg came first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back