17 nissan pathfinder warranty issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! So if I'm understanding this correctly, you got the rental car company you bought this pathfinder from ~2yrs ago to cover the cost of the new engine?

THAT is awesome! Great thinking.

Good to know. My last two Nissan purchases were both ex-rentals, but bought through a Nissan dealer. It almost sounds like you're better off buying directly from the rental car co.

I'm still a bit leery of the direct injected VQ35DD in my 2019 Pathfinder (same engine your 2017 has). It seems to blacken the engine oil quickly. It doesn't smell badly of gasoline, but it sure turns dark a lot quicker than the oil did in the VQ35DE in our 2016 Nissan Quest.

Cold start exhaust smells much richer on the DD vs the DE as well. Fuel economy is about the same between the two.

Originally Posted by DiaQui
They weren't kidding it does look very bad in there....here are the pics I got:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a grossly neglected engine. I wouldn't buy a lease return or a rental for those reasons.
27.gif
Some people swear by them. With regard to lease returns I sold enough of them to know to stay clear. Rentals are typically abused, and usually get the bare minimum when it comes to service, those pictures seem to back that statement up. Perhaps show less than the bare minimum of service. I'm glad it worked out for you, others might not be so lucky!

Still no on the engine flush? ... Yes, hasn't had the oil changed for a long interval on that one. Seen it before in diesels. What colour was the oil coming out on the changes even without an engine flush? Filter and oil any sludge?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

That is a grossly neglected engine. I wouldn't buy a lease return or a rental for those reasons.
27.gif
Some people swear by them. With regard to lease returns I sold enough of them to know to stay clear. Rentals are typically abused, and usually get the bare minimum when it comes to service, those pictures seem to back that statement up. Perhaps show less than the bare minimum of service. I'm glad it worked out for you, others might not be so lucky!

He bought this vehicle when it was barely a year old with ~28K miles on it. I've owned 5 previous rentals over the years where I'm reasonably confident (having worked for Budget many years ago) they only had 1-2 OCs at best in their first year and ~30K miles. These engines remained spotless from what I could see in the cam covers and I had exactly zero power-train problems with these cars.

I still believe there's NO WAY this level of sludge happened in 1yr/28K miles unless there was something seriously wrong with this engine.

From ~28K to ~50K the OP claims to have done regular oil changes, but with some "engine flush" done as well.

Was it the "flush"? Did the shop(s) that did his oil changes not change the oil or put something horrible in this engine? Mechanical problem with this DI engine maybe? We'll never know.

Last edited:
Running a engine flush carries risks that need to be considered. With the engine as badly sludged up as this one was, a flush might have negative consequences.

It's good to hear they are going to put another engine in the vehicle.

Are they actually installing a new or reman engine?

A lot of times, third party warranty companies will install a "like mileage" junkyard salvage engine. Something to consider and possibly ask so you are not surprised after the fact.

Good news and the engine was neglected before you bought it. I don't like how water tested positive in the UOA. But it's not a concern for you now.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Are they actually installing a new or reman engine?

A lot of times, third party warranty companies will install a "like mileage" junkyard salvage engine. Something to consider and possibly ask so you are not surprised after the fact.

No, they asked the nissan dealership for a quote for a used engine (which he quoted with a warranty included) and a new nissan engine. They gave the approval for them to install brand new.

Originally Posted by DiaQui
No, they asked the nissan dealership for a quote for a used engine (which he quoted with a warranty included) and a new nissan engine. They gave the approval for them to install brand new.

Firstly, congratulations on getting this result.

I think you should tell us who the rental car company is as they deserve some recognition for doing the right thing.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Running a engine flush carries risks that need to be considered. With the engine as badly sludged up as this one was, a flush might have negative consequences.

It's good to hear they are going to put another engine in the vehicle.

There is no way an engine flush had anything to do with it. Where did the sludge come from, its extreme.

Well done on getting a new engine OP.

I'm beginning to think that motor has more miles than what is indicated on the odometer.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back