17" Laptop Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of replacing my old desktop (read giving it to my poor 'ol sis) & need a laptop (had one prior to the existing desktop). I won't get a docking station as I don't plan on having an external monitor. I do however plan on using it for some CAD work, i.e. Solid Edge. I realize they weigh close to 8# but I'm ok with that as this will be my only computer. I would like to stay around $1k. A few things I'm pretty much set on:

17" screen
7200 rpm HD 500GB minimum
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
8 or 9-cell battery (can't imagine 6-cell with 17" screen)
Intel i7 processor
Push2TV HDTV adapater so stick with Intel
Blu-Ray player (not sure if writer is desired)
webcam
HDMI output port
2nd bay for additional HD or SSD now or later
I like the Hybrid HD on Toshiba or Sony.
I also like the Optimus tech on NVIDIA cards (or at least I think that I do).

I'm currently looking at Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7387 which is ~ $1300 from Cosco & Dell XPS 17 L702X from their outlet store. Asus? HP? I don't like all the bloated s/w that comes with many mainstream systems though. I've also looked at Lotus PC (15" max), Systemax (15" screen max), Union Built PC ($1975) but they all came up short.

I tend to keep computers for a long time, & this laptop won't be an exception. For example, my existing desktop is a Dell Dimension 4600. Yep, from back in 2002-2003 so it is certainly long in the tooth. I've upgraded it a few times so it now has 2.5GB RAM but only 120GB HD, for example.

I don't know if I want touchscreen or not, but I certainly don't care anything about 3D. Do you see a Blu-Ray writer becoming common or should I just get an external one later on?

I bought my wife an Alienware laptop about 18 months ago and she is happy with it. Those things are built like a tank and pleased that it is holding up rather well. She has had IBM,Dell,HP laptops in the past and this has been the best one so far. Have you seen the new iPads ? Coworker just got one two weeks ago and brought it in to let us check it out. That thing is sleek and the screen resolution is amazing.
Good luck in your purchase....

Bo

I'm going to suggest one of a few options. Empereo linux and System 76 Sell name brand laptops with a huge array of options, plus you can get Linux mint, or ubuntu installed and not have to deal with the horrors of windows. Unlike downloading linux and hoping it works System 76, Think Penguin,Ohava, and Los Alamos Computors provide tech support, and all necessary drivers firmware etc.

CAD requires a lot of horsepower no matter the Brand.

I am a Linux user but problem here is that the Linux O/S will not run most CAD software even if you use Wine.

I-Pad has a small screen and will not run the software.

Understand after talking with an Apple rep that the I-Pad 3 will be out sometime after the first of the year. Best guess around April.

Off the subject but I-Pad does not support Flash either. Eventually that may not be an issue with HTML5.

When you google laptop reliability for the past several years two rise to the top like cream......Asus & Toshiba in a virtual tie. I gave away an 8 year old Toshiba still in excellent operating condition to a student. I also have one seven years old that has suffered only one malfunction. Where the power plugs in the 'receiver' for it got loose and even that took five years to surface. It's now in the living room as a "guest" laptop when we have company staying over....old Pentium processor, TWO fans and sounds like a hovercraft when you fire it up.

I'm typing on a 17" Satellite that's five years old and has suffered zero problems. I've been through two HP's (rated at the bottom) and a Compaq that just up and quit in short order (just out of warranty of course). My better half went through a Dell and an HP in less than four years. I got her a Toshiba and no problems in two+ years, none. Guess which brand I will buy again when I can afford newer and better?

Asus has some fine machines but from what I have read their customer service is non existent. I have no first hand experience with Toshiba or Asus customer service however.

My choice would be the Qosmio without question.

ASUS G-series, like the G73 is about perfect for this. Lots of power for graphics and a high res screen.

Ben,

Forgot to mention we have an ASUS netbook (price won out over Toshiba by $200) and other than a few very minor hiccups it has served, and still is, serving faithfully.

I have had two Toshiba Satellites. Got the first one in '06. It had an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and was a great computer until problems developed with the screen cable this past year. My needs were more basic this time around (no school), so I got a loss leader Satellite at Best Buy with an Intel Celeron processor. It works well enough, though the old computer was a little faster. It also has a minor screen issue on start up, but it doesn't seem to be a cable problem and has not gotten worse. I would think the Qosmio comes with a higher quality screen, but I don't know. Not so sure I'd trust Toshiba with a touchscreen. Aside from the screens, both of my Toshibas have been great overall.

I still have the old computer and it probably could be fixed, but I haven't bothered looking into it. I've got a docking station that the old hard drive plugs into and I can get to any old files I need that way.

I have a 17" Dell Studio that I love. I plan on getting a new one when Windows 8 comes out, if the price on solid state drives drops a little. Otherwise, I'll keep this one. It does a great job!

I'd be all over that like Rita McNeil on a pot roast
wink.gif

Yeah, that video card is pretty nice; it is the same card as on the Toshiba - listed as 1.5GB. Newegg & Asus lists video memory as 3GB. I don't understand how they can be different. Another thing is that Asus doesn't offer Optimus with their laptops but Toshiba does.
However, the Asus has a 2-year parts & labor warranty while most everyone else has 1-year. Of course, that's not always a good thing per se.

Is it recommended to get an extra year (or two) of warranty from Toshiba?
1-yr with purchase
2-yr for $52.50 over 1-yr but still only 1-yr on battery
3-yr for $69.30 over 1-yr but still only 1-yr on battery

I've decided on the Toshiba Qosmio X770-BT5G24 upgraded with the following upgrades:

8GB RAM ($56 over 6GB)
500GB HD with 4GB Hybrid ($35 over the 640GB standard HD)
Blu-ray write ($35 over Blu-ray reader)
Intel wireless LAN & Intel Wireless Display ready ($17.50 over Realtek LAN

It was ~ $200 over the Dell XPS 17 L702X. Better graphics card, hybrid hard drive, Blu-ray writer on the Toshiba. Dell had better webcam (2.0M HD vs 1.3M on Toshiba) & screen (1080 vs 720p on Toshiba).

I should be able to try out a similar Toshiba at Costco, but I wouldn't be able to on the Dell.

I would confirm that the additional warranty time begins after the original expires. In view of the one problem I've had with multi Toshibas over years of use I can't say that extended warranty is recommended but it does make sense. That's an expensive and complex piece of equipment and covering it for three (additional?) years for that price would be a go for me.

Ah, I meant 2-yr total or 3-yr total warranty. I was trying to say that the price is what is over the 1-yr basis. 5% of purchase price to have 3-yr total warranty is not too bad. If they would cover the battery for that time at the same price, I would definitely jump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back