'17 Honda Civic Hatchback Front Shock replacement

Always replace together. People can tell you whatever you want but you need to replace both of them especially at that mileage. Never replace suspension or steering components as a single. I have never replaced just one that’s crazy. The only time I did was when one side was faulty on a customers car and Subaru replaced it under warranty but the car had under 10,000 on it which I still didn’t want to replace just one. From your picture it looks like it’s just the end link boot busted that’s leaking grease. So I’d replace both of those and see if you continue to see this issue.

What does it look like on the other side of the spring seat? Where the piston rod goes in the shock body? Do you see oil there? :unsure:
It is dry. I don’t see/feel any “sweating” up under the spring/cover.

Attachments

• A66E4B6F-6328-4131-9EEF-9BF600C2D118.jpeg
    A66E4B6F-6328-4131-9EEF-9BF600C2D118.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 9
What does it look like on the other side of the spring seat? Where the piston rod goes in the shock body? Do you see oil there? :unsure:
I’ve also looked at the drivers side and it looks like similar issue is developing with grease coming out of the link boot

Attachments

• EA063952-30E9-41AE-89C1-18A47E7734A4.jpeg
    EA063952-30E9-41AE-89C1-18A47E7734A4.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
A Honda dealer replaced just the right rear shock on our 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan years ago. It was about 4yrs old and had ~50K miles on it at the time. I noticed a really bad clunking from the back end of the van over bumps. A shock never occurred to me because I didn't notice any bouncing or wheel hop. They even recommended a Monroe over the OEM because the Monroe was a better shock (their words) and it was way less expensive. They inspected the other side and said it looked good, so leave it alone. This was not a warranty repair and the bill was very reasonable. Just over $100 IIRC.

A Honda dealer replaced just the right rear shock on our 2007 Honda Odyssey minivan years ago. It was about 4yrs old and had ~50K miles on it at the time. I noticed a really bad clunking from the back end of the van over bumps. A shock never occurred to me because I didn't notice any bouncing or wheel hop. They even recommended a Monroe over the OEM because the Monroe was a better shock (their words) and it was way less expensive. They inspected the other side and said it looked good, so leave it alone. This was not a warranty repair and the bill was very reasonable. Just over $100 IIRC.
Just to clarify, you replaced one side only and it was clunking bad afterwards?

Always replace together. People can tell you whatever you want but you need to replace both of them especially at that mileage. Never replace suspension or steering components as a single. I have never replaced just one that’s crazy. The only time I did was when one side was faulty on a customers car and Subaru replaced it under warranty but the car had under 10,000 on it which I still didn’t want to replace just one. From your picture it looks like it’s just the end link boot busted that’s leaking grease. So I’d replace both of those and see if you continue to see this issue.
Let’s be honest, if a car had two engines you would argue replacing them both if one failed because that’s what they taught you at school.

Waiting for a woman to tell her surgeon that she only wants one breast enlarged. I never replaced just one headlight bulb or rotated one tire. I would probably have them done in pairs as the ride is gonna feel quite different I suppose.

Waiting for a woman to tell her surgeon that she only wants one breast enlarged. I never replaced just one headlight bulb or rotated one tire. I would probably have them done in pairs as the ride is gonna feel quite different I suppose.
Assuming my right shock is “bad”, I could never tell it is actually bad. Car handles just fine, same way it did when I picked it up brand new. I honestly doubt that it actually is bad. I’m fine with Honda picking up a bill to replace a good “bad” shock, but dropping 600$ on another good “good” shock feels a bit weird. But I certainly understand and agree to a certain degree on the “change both sides” argument

Whew, you got away with that joke. My last one almost got me a “Will Smith.” Nicely done.

Figured I'd give you an update: decided to go with one shock replacement only. Drove close to 1k miles after and can honestly tell 0 difference. Same suspension performance.

Funny thing: when I picked up the car after repairs and drove back home, noticed weird metallic rattle noise on bumps. Pulled the well off, check is there was anything loose - nothing. Drove the car again - noise is there, no doubt. Went back to the dealer, they had the car for an hour, then service advisor comes out and shows me the rubber dust cap that covers the bolt/nut which connect the shock to the car body (under the hood), and says that was the reason of the rattle. Rubber cap making a metallic rattling noise. Okay. Anyway, drove the car with the tech and noise was gone. Haven't heard it since.

Looking at these pics all you "needed" here was the link that was leaking grease. I wouldn't have even worried about it until it started making noise (if ever). I know warranty was involved here but an end link is like $20? (I just hate making multiple trips for small issues)

Looking at these pics all you "needed" here was the link that was leaking grease. I wouldn't have even worried about it until it started making noise (if ever). I know warranty was involved here but an end link is like $20? (I just hate making multiple trips for small issues)
yes, I agree with your observation. I guess dealership wanted to make a buck on the warranty repair and get me a new shock as well, so i didn't complain.

Back