'17 Honda Civic Hatchback Front Shock replacement

The other day, noticed some "sweating" going on the passenger front shock absorber, took the car in to the Honda dealership (still have around 9months left of Honda Care contract), and they have concluded it needs to be replaced along with the swaybar link (grease coming out of the top joint). Honda approved the warranty repairs...but for one side only. To the best of my knowledge, shocks are usually replaced in pairs, but Honda won't do it unless it is determined faulty. If I choose to cover the cost myself, I'm looking at 630$ for the driver's side, which is not something I'm excited about.

I guess my questions to you guys is if anyone have replaced one side only in the past, and if there were negative effects observed on steerabilty, tire wear etc.

How hard is the replacement to DIY? Is worth doing it yourself and try to save 300$? (parts are around 200$, plus 140$ alignement). Looking for any feedback or suggestions.

Btw, shocks are on the back order with no ETA.

Last edited:
they don't want to do the other shock because they can't get it :sneaky:

If you want to do it yourself, the only quick struts available are FCS. Monroe also makes quick struts for the 10th gen Civic, but they are not available right now.

If you don't like quick struts, Bilstein makes shocks for your Civic, though they are twin tube.

How many miles on the car? :unsure:

If you want to do it yourself, the only quick struts available are FCS. Monroe also makes quick struts for the 10th gen Civic, but they are not available right now.

If you don't like quick struts, Bilstein makes shocks for your Civic, though they are twin tube.

I'm at 64K at the moment. Not sure how long the "leaking" was going on but I don't recall anything happening last time I've done tire rotation.

I was just checking the Beranardiparts and it looks like I can place an order, at least it doesn't say they're not in stock. Makes me wonder why Honda says they're on the backorder...hmmm

I was just checking the Beranardiparts and it looks like I can place an order, at least it doesn't say they're not in stock. Makes me wonder why Honda says they're on the backorder...hmmm
I just tried to order some parts from Bernardi last night that said they were in stock too, but they emailed me this morning and said they weren't. They were kind enough to do a nationwide search and find me them though.

So, what’s the consensus on don’t fix if it ain’t broken? How bad the karma is with keeping an old shock along side with the new one?

So, what’s the consensus on don’t fix if it ain’t broken? How bad the karma is with keeping an old shock along side with the new one?

I mean, you *should* replace both at the same time. Honda will probably cover it if you keep asking. Another option is to pay for the other shock now and seek reimbursement afterwards :unsure:

Usually the only time you only replace one is after an accident hitting one side of the car.

To the best of my knowledge, shocks are usually replaced in pairs, but Honda won't do it unless it is determined faulty.
They are usually replaced in pairs because shops scare you into doing so, citing some contrived safety reasons, so they can sell more parts and service. Same reasoning for selling pairs of tires even if only one is damaged (excluding AWD). Do you think the dealer, and Honda, would take on the liability of you getting in a wreck if replacing just one was really a safety issue? Lawyers would have a field day.

There is no need to replace both. Replacing 1 is fine. At this mileage, if the other side is not leaking, the difference in performance will be negligible.

Replace them both with KYB's. $100/each.
Low quality product IME. Recent ones rarely last more than 30-50K.

There is no need to replace both. Replacing 1 is fine. At this mileage, if the other side is not leaking, the difference in performance will be negligible.

Have you had any of your customers cars get just one side done? I haven’t really had to deal will the shocks on any of the cars I’ve owned, but I clearly remember the rule of thumb to change both at the same time

Have you had any of your customers cars get just one side done? I haven’t really had to deal will the shocks on any of the cars I’ve owned, but I clearly remember the rule of thumb to change both at the same time
Yes. No issues whatsoever.

I have never replaced more than the one/‘s that are defective, there’s no reason to fit in pairs. As said it’s just a money making scam that you have been conditioned to accept and now believe is a requirement that Honda isn’t following.

My advise, let Honda do the work they are going to do under warranty and then you drive the car. I will be honestly amazed if you come back and say there’s a issue and that the issue is caused by the non defective shock.

Thanks folks. Here’s the thing though: to me, it really looks as it was the grease from the damages link boot causing the “sweating” on the shock, and not the shock itself leaking the fluid out. What do you say?

Attachments

• 15607A03-6977-4DA2-8000-63937CFFD696.jpeg
    15607A03-6977-4DA2-8000-63937CFFD696.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 26
Thanks folks. Here’s the thing though: to me, it really looks as it was the grease from the damages link boot causing the “sweating” on the shock, and not the shock itself leaking the fluid out. What do you say?

What does it look like on the other side of the spring seat? Where the piston rod goes in the shock body? Do you see oil there? :unsure:

Back