17 Civic 1.5T, 89K mi; PP 5W20, 7.8k mi

About 4 months since the last oil change this time around. At this rate, the Civic will hit the 100K mile mark around October... and it's doing the job we bought it for... providing mostly trouble free miles to my daughter as her first car. No real issue with fuel dilution as reported with these engines, so I'm a happy pappy.

Was going to add another fill of Euro L but saw that I had drained PP. On a whim decided to forego the Euro L and filled up with PUP 5W20. I believe my thinking was to stay with 5W20 for a few fills to see how the 1.5T digests it.

17 Civic Mar 2024.jpg

17 Civic UOA History Mar 2024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any time you can average less than 2ppm of Fe per 1k miles, and the other wear metals are in the low single digits, it's doing well.
The contamination is acceptable on all your UOAs as well.
Nothing but a good running engine there.

About 4 months since the last oil change this time around. At this rate, the Civic will hit the 100K mile mark around October... and it's doing the job we bought it for... providing mostly trouble free miles to my daughter as her first car. No real issue with fuel dilution as reported with these engines, so I'm a happy pappy.

Was going to add another fill of Euro L but saw that I had drained PP. On a whim decided to forego the Euro L and filled up with PUP 5W20. I believe my thinking was to stay with 5W20 for a few fills to see how the 1.5T digests it.

View attachment 214898
View attachment 214899
Could you ask Blackstone what the current mileage is for the Universal Average for this engine? They probably mentioned it on your first UOA, but the average mileage does change over time as more reports get included in their Universal Average.

Great report as always with your car, @chinee ! It does seem like the Euro L has had slightly better TBN retention than the rest of the UOAs in your spreadsheet.

I second the higher TBN on Euro L & has higher detergent additives. This being a turbo I think it may do better with the lower calcium & a bit of magnesium in the PP though. It's doing well for only 3.7 qts. of oil.

The analysis looks quite excellent. It appears to have minimal fuel dilution and the oil looks to be holding up quite well. Are you following the maintenance minder? Or just an ~7500 OCI?

View attachment 214898
View attachment 214899
It likes the PP 5w-20. How does the PUP "feel" , in the engine, vs. the PP?

The analysis looks quite excellent. It appears to have minimal fuel dilution and the oil looks to be holding up quite well. Are you following the maintenance minder? Or just an ~7500 OCI?
I ignore, or rather tell my daughter to ignore the maintenance minder, and shoot for my desired OCI... around 7K or so.

I second the higher TBN on Euro L & has higher detergent additives. This being a turbo I think it may do better with the lower calcium & a bit of magnesium in the PP though. It's doing well for only 3.7 qts. of oil.
Never thought about it that way... just 3.7qts... the oil is holding up well, or rather the engine is not harsh on the oil at all. Also factoring into the good numbers is the fact that this engine sees very few short trips, if any.

Sorry, can't answer this one... my daughter's ride. But I doubt there would be any descernible difference.
I noticed PUP 5w-20 runs more smoothly and quietly than my previous oils, the 0w-20's AFE, PUP, and TGMO in my '17 Camry. .02

It's doing well for only 3.7 qts. of oil.
If you look at it as "quarts per engine liter" you might think about it a little differently.

03 Honda Civic: 3.5qts, 1.7l engine = 2.06qt per liter
13 Volvo S80: 7.2qts, 3.2l engine = 2.25qt per liter
08 Ford Ranger: 4.5qts, 3.0l engine = 1.5qt per liter
15 Chevy Malibu: 5.0qts, 2.0l engine = 2.5qt per liter
17 Honda Civic: 3.7qts, 15.l engine = 2.47qt per liter
18 Honda CRV: 3.7qts, 1.5l engine = 2.47qt per liter
20 Chevy Corvette: 7.5qts, 6.2l engine = 1.21qt per liter

SOPUS doesn't seem to mind that their #1 selling synthetic oil keeps getting thinner - has very little moly, boron and ZDDP.

Just because GTL base lessens the need for additives, doesn't mean you should include so little additives, that it drives away long-time purchasers that now think the oil product shows weakness instead of strength.

You are putting in less, but not lowering the price. You could add 100 to each of: Magnesium, Phosphorous and Zinc. Take Moly and Boron to 100 and still be SP / GF6a Dexos1 Gen3 compliant and I won't feel like I'm being robbed of my additives....... all at the same price of two years ago when the additive levels were higher with early GTL results..... which is the same retail price as today.

.... or.... just leave things like this UOA and watch me walk right past Pennzoil products on the shelves at Walmart and grab another brand name. Squeezing the purchaser out of value for the dollar spent - to obtain highest profits possible, is great for the large corporation. Congrats. That's where you're at currently SOPUS and I se Exxon-Mobil following you on the same path. Their UOAs / VOAs are looking weaker and weaker too lately.

The Group 3 oils at least show purchasers that the price spent on the jug of oil looks like better value. Or spend 2-3 times more and see gobs of additives pouring out of HPL, Amsoil products having bases loaded with Groups 4 and 5. I just don't see the value my wallet's receiving with Pennzoil's GTL.

Last edited:
SOPUS doesn't seem to mind that their #1 selling synthetic oil keeps getting thinner - has very little moly, boron and ZDDP.

Just because GTL base lessens the need for additives, doesn't mean you should include so little additives, that it drives away long-time purchasers that now think the oil product shows weakness instead of strength.

You are putting in less, but not lowering the price. You could add 100 to each of: Magnesium, Phosphorous and Zinc. Take Moly and Boron to 100 and still be SP / GF6a Dexos1 Gen3 compliant and I won't feel like I'm being robbed of my additives....... all at the same price of two years ago when the additive levels were higher with early GTL results..... which is the same retail price as today.

.... or.... just leave things like this UOA and watch me walk right past Pennzoil products on the shelves at Walmart and grab another brand name.
I'm guessing 90-95% of Pennzoil customers don't even know what an oil analysis is, so they'd have no clue that additives have been reduced. If a handful of BITOG users stop buying their product, it won't hurt them in any meaningful way. Not that I don't agree with you, but that is probably the reality of it.

If you look at it as "quarts per engine liter" you might think about it a little differently.

03 Honda Civic: 3.5qts, 1.7l engine = 2.06qt per liter
13 Volvo S80: 7.2qts, 3.2l engine = 2.25qt per liter
08 Ford Ranger: 4.5qts, 3.0l engine = 1.5qt per liter
15 Chevy Malibu: 5.0qts, 2.0l engine = 2.5qt per liter
17 Honda Civic: 3.7qts, 15.l engine = 2.47qt per liter
18 Honda CRV: 3.7qts, 1.5l engine = 2.47qt per liter
20 Chevy Corvette: 7.5qts, 6.2l engine = 1.21qt per liter
Yeah, That does show more or similar oil per liter in this 17' Civic if we're comparing to other OEM's sump capacity & engine displacement's. It also shows the newer 17' Civic having a smaller displacement & more oil than its 03' predecessor.

Decided to play around with your numbers but throw in ODI.

Take OEM Drain Interval / Sump capacity

08' Volvo XC90 7.7 qts/3.2L = 2.406 qts per L | 7500 OEM Drain Interval / 2.406 qts = 3,116 Miles per 1 qt of oil <---Midsize SUV 4,500 LBS
17' Honda Civic 3.7 qts/1.5L = 2.466 qts per L | 10000 OEM Drain Interval / 4,055 Miles per 1 qt of oil <---Small Sedan 2,738 LBS

Even though the XC90 is almost two tons more it is required to change the oil only 939 miles per 1 qt sooner. It does have two more cylinders to cope. Not sure what everything here really means but thought I'd throw it up here.

This math is fun to play around with. :cool:

Back