17 Civic 1.5T, 67K on odo, PP 5W30, 8,955 OCI

And the saga continues... a pretty boring story though...

Yet again, I meant to change at 6K but forgot and ended up changing 3K later. Luckily it does not look like it hurt anything. Iron is just a tad higher than I might have expected. What's different this time does not show in the results, very little fuel odor from the oil. I was at the end of the service when I realized that I did not key into the fuel smell like I usually did. I popped open the sample jar and was surprised it smelt pretty normal.

Another difference was a slight oil consumption, 0.5 qts over the 9K interval. Not alarming but I will be on the lookout for consumption at the next change.

Refilled this time around with 5W20 Euro L.

17 Civic Feb 2023.jpg

17 Civic UOA History Feb 2023.jpg

Attachments

• 17 Civic Feb 2023.jpg
    17 Civic Feb 2023.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 53
Your OCI on 5-21-22(7580/50513mi) PP seems to have had a slightly stronger add pkg thus netting a slightly different UOA result. All of the other UOAs are very similar to one another and seeming to shear down(some fuel dilution) to a 20 grade that is recommended in your OM.

WELL DONE! (y)

Your OCI on 5-21-22(7580/50513mi) PP seems to have had a slightly stronger add pkg thus netting a slightly different UOA result. All of the other UOAs are very similar to one another and seeming to shear down(some fuel dilution) to a 20 grade that is recommended in your OM.

WELL DONE! (y)
I think we had this conversation when he first posted that OCI. To me it looks exactly like Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 (which he says he's using for the current OCI).

What I'm impressed with on the Euro L is its viscosity retention. Here's my VOA: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/pp-euro-l-5w30-voa.361111/

After 7500 miles and a 360F flashpoint, it's viscosity only dropped from 11.9 to 11.2.

@chinee I'm assuming you meant 5W30 because as far as I know, Pennzoil only makes Euro L in that grade.

Last edited:
PP 5w30 is on the thin side of 5w30's and seems to work well in 20wt. applications.....especially in fuel diluters like the Honda 1.5T. It's a 5w30 that I'd have no problem running in my 5w20 spec'd Fords.

euro l 5w-30 is a good choice and it happens. I usually miss mine by about a thousand or less.

Since you are using a spreadsheet to track these results, you should make separate entries for aluminum and iron that are calculated on a PPM/1000 miles basis. This will give you better data to trend, as aluminum should not trend with mileage, while iron should.

Did the oil level drop to the minimum mark?

Been noticing some consumption on a 2017 CRV 1.5T that I maintain, but the car does have over 100K. At the last few oil changes, the level was at the minimum mark at time of oil change. Owner does run until 10% left on the OLM - that is usually a 10-11K interval on M1 EP 0W20.

Despite the fuel dilution issues with this engine, they seem to be holding up quite well so far.

PP 5w30 is on the thin side of 5w30's and seems to work well in 20wt. applications.....especially in fuel diluters like the Honda 1.5T. It's a 5w30 that I'd have no problem running in my 5w20 spec'd Fords.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. It has the viscosity of a 0w20. PPHM 0w20 when tested has a viscosity of 8.4. Higher than this. Did this oil shear down? I think it did. I just checked PQIA. PP 5w30 has a VOA viscosity of 9.9. Maybe it's the fuel dilution?

Reactions: pbm
And the saga continues... a pretty boring story though...

Yet again, I meant to change at 6K but forgot and ended up changing 3K later. Luckily it does not look like it hurt anything. Iron is just a tad higher than I might have expected. What's different this time does not show in the results, very little fuel odor from the oil. I was at the end of the service when I realized that I did not key into the fuel smell like I usually did. I popped open the sample jar and was surprised it smelt pretty normal.

Another difference was a slight oil consumption, 0.5 qts over the 9K interval. Not alarming but I will be on the lookout for consumption at the next change.

View attachment 141682

View attachment 141680
Agree, it's a, pleasantly, boring report. Great tabulation of all the ocis. Thanks.

Did the oil level drop to the minimum mark?

Been noticing some consumption on a 2017 CRV 1.5T that I maintain, but the car does have over 100K. At the last few oil changes, the level was at the minimum mark at time of oil change. Owner does run until 10% left on the OLM - that is usually a 10-11K interval on M1 EP 0W20.
Unfortunately I did not check the dipstick, only noticed the consumption when I poured the old oil into an old gallon jug and measured just under 3.25 qts.

Despite the fuel dilution issues with this engine, they seem to be holding up quite well so far.
Knock on wood... 🤞

As BS reported it appears this oil change interval was perfect on this car with that oil. With TBN being at the last of it's leg but having just a pinch left to neutralize the bad stuff. I would run this oil to your 9k mark to get the best bang for the buck run. Everything looks good here.

My goal is a 7,500 ODI, but it's my daughter's car and I keep missing the interval... so we'll see where the interval lands in a few months. And I used Euro L for the first time.

Keep in mind the euro L is not lspi mitigating and should not be used in small displacement turbocharged gasoline direct injection engines. The pp 5w30 is lspi mitigating and would be great

Keep in mind the euro L is not lspi mitigating and should not be used in small displacement turbocharged gasoline direct injection engines. The pp 5w30 is lspi mitigating and would be great
Not really sure what that meant... but with an hour or two researching lspi, etc., I'm sure I'll understand. I used the Euro L based upon recommendations from members here. I actually just changed the oil last night and replaced with Euro L 5W20 again. This would be a 6.7K mile ODI and I'll send off to Blackstone either today or tomorrow.

Not really sure what that meant... with an hour or two researching lspi, etc., I'm sure I'll understand. I used the Euro L based upon recommendations from members here. I actually just changed the oil last night and replaced with Euro L 5W20 again. This would be a 6.7K mile ODI and I'll send off to Blackstone either today or tomorrow.

Lspi is superknock that kills small displacement turbo charged direct injection engines. It happens without warning and cannot be mitigated by our knock sensors and ignition knock control systems. It's mitigated by using an API SP rated oil (or comparable) that is lower in calcium. The Pennzoil euro L is not that.

Nice. Notice that the primary wear metal - AL averaged 5ppm with 20 wt. and 3.6 ppm with 30 wt. Thats 39% more wear.
Wish we had more data to support it. I just assume there will be more wear-hence 30 wt. for me. It is irrelevant for me as I will never keep another vehicle much beyond 50 K miles.

Weak add pack btw.

Nice. Notice that the primary wear metal - AL averaged 5ppm with 20 wt. and 3.6 ppm with 30 wt. Thats 39% more wear.
Wish we had more data to support it. I just assume there will be more wear-hence 30 wt. for me. It is irrelevant for me as I will never keep another vehicle much beyond 50 K miles.

Weak add pack btw.

I'm reading it was 4 for the only 0w20 change in March 2021.

The 5w30 changes averaged 4.14 in iron content.

None of it is statistically significant

Back