Pennz Plat 5W30, 6,372 miles, 2017 Civic 1.5T

Getting some history on this engine now. Still a boring UOA so that's a good thing.

Silicon - a little high but the air filter has never been changed and the seal is still tight, I doubt any dirt is getting in. But I might still change the air filter, it's been 36K miles and almost 4 years after all. Maybe I also need to examine the the entire intake for a loose fitting or bolt(s).

Fuel dilution - from what I read here, Blackstone does not give really accurate fuel dilution data. But I will say that this is the thinnest used oil I've ever seen flow out of an engine. I did collect approx. 3.9 qts whereas it was filled with 3.75 qts, so there seems to be some physical proof of dilution occurring. And my wife even remarked about a gas smell in the garage.

Replaced with mostly the same PP 5W30 (3.5qt) and 0.25 qt of 0W20. I thought I had a couple of gallons of 5W30 in the garage but was mistaken so had to make do with this concoction. Looking at 6K miles for this ODI and leaning towards 0W20 for the next fill.

17 Civic Sep 2021 notes.jpg

Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 is a readily available product from WalMart. It is a high viscosity 5W30, has a high HT/HS (> 3.5) and is a very solid lubricant. It is a low/mid SAPS product also so it's easy on the catalytic converters.
1632220890713.jpg

I'd try a thick 0w-30 oil personally. The report isn't that bad in my opinion, similar to a direct injected 3.5 Ecoboost. Alot of the wear metals are trending down which is good regardless. If you're out of warranty, try M1 0w-40.

Thanks for sharing

My recommendation would be finding an oil that meets the MB 229.52 specification. Is a thicker 30wt with an HTHS of 3.5, and is intended for longer drains (whether doing them or not) on TGDI motors.

I'd try a thick 0w-30 oil personally. The report isn't that bad in my opinion, similar to a direct injected 3.5 Ecoboost. Alot of the wear metals are trending down which is good regardless. If you're out of warranty, try M1 0w-40.

Thanks for sharing
I wouldn’t go M1 0W40FS as it has uber high SAPS. It is exceptional oil but there are so much additives that it is not really best option for DI engines.

My recommendation would be finding an oil that meets the MB 229.52 specification. Is a thicker 30wt with an HTHS of 3.5, and is intended for longer drains (whether doing them or not) on TGDI motors.
This!
MB229.52 has LSPI test.
NAPA has on sale Mobil1 ESP 0/5W30 for $5+ per quart. ESP 5W30 is probably best oil in this ACEA C2/3 category. Heavy W30, HTHS probably around 3.6.

The wear metals like fine with that oil but here are some easy finds for Euro if going that route:

Walmart: Mobil1 5W-40, Mobil1 0W-40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30, Castrol Edge LL 5W-30 and Castrol Edge 0W40 (Not all these products are carried at every Walmart)

Advance Auto: Many Euro oils priced at $35-$39 for 5quarts which includes a premium filter. Check the flyer for specials. If Mobil1 is on the list, it also applies to the Mobil1 ESP 5W-30. There's also Liqui Moly, various Castrol, Valvoline and Pennzoil offerings.

Been a Pennz fanboy for just about forever, then jumped on the Valvoline HM bandwagon... but I've never been an M1 fan, always thought it was overpriced and never worked well in my Infiniti 3.5 V6. But I guess it's time to start reading some threads here and pick something new.

This!
MB229.52 has LSPI test.
NAPA has on sale Mobil1 ESP 0/5W30 for $5+ per quart. ESP 5W30 is probably best oil in this ACEA C2/3 category. Heavy W30, HTHS probably around 3.6.
NAPA has ESP on sale now? I’ been waiting for them to put that on sale forever, but the local ad doesn’t show it.

Looks to me like the 0w20 held up better than the 5w30, which sheered down to a 20. Flashpoint was significantly higher in the 0w20 after a similar run.

So all the thickies out there should notice this. Happened every time with the 5w30's.

I'd stick with 0w20 and do the same 6k OCI. If sticking with 5w30, I'd back it down to 5k. Or even better, 0w20 at 5k.

Looks to me like the 0w20 held up better than the 5w30, which sheered down to a 20. Flashpoint was significantly higher in the 0w20 after a similar run.

So all the thickies out there should notice this. Happened every time with the 5w30's.

I'd stick with 0w20 and do the same 6k OCI. If sticking with 5w30, I'd back it down to 5k. Or even better, 0w20 at 5k.
That was thought process as well, the 0W20 did seem to fare a tad better. Thinking of going the Euro route though.

Back