'17 2.3 EB Expl M1 5W-30 EP 7800 mi

This is the 5th OCI I've had done on this vehicle because it's a turbo DI engine and that is new to me. I wanted to see how the OCI's performed in various seasonal driving conditions. It seems pretty consistent when using M1 5W-30 and even the M1 5W-30 EP this time. The only OCI with the non use of M1 5W-30 was the 4,275 mile OCI, that one used Motorcraft 5W-30 Synblend. The silicon on the current OCI was higher I believe because I had the timing cover resealed AGAIN. It doesn't use a gasket, just RTV. Other than the usual viscosity loss and some usual fuel dilution there doesn't seem to be any real problems brewing. I have enough M1 5W-30 left for 4 more oil changes so I intend to them up based upon my OCI's. Also the OCI's in the 6,000-8,000 mile range seem to be ok with the type of driving the Explorer gets using M1 5W-30.

Whimsey

Attachments

• 17 Expl M1 5W-30 EP.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 206
The EB are good engines but tough on oil for the most part. Your numbers look good. What are your thoughts on the potential wear on timing chains as you go past the 5k mark? Mobil 1 is an excellent oil.

The EB are good engines but tough on oil for the most part. Your numbers look good. What are your thoughts on the potential wear on timing chains as you go past the 5k mark? Mobil 1 is an excellent oil.
The timing chain on the 2.3 EB is no where near as long as on the V-6 3.5 EB, yet the oil quantity is the same, 5.7 quarts. Plus the Mobil 1 5W-30 is Dexos gen2 and has been for a while, that is timing chain friendly as I understand. Ford uses 10,000 mile in their OLM using Motorcraft 5W-30 synblend. All my oil changes were tracking to 10,000 miles using the OLM. Not that I trust Ford totally to ensure long life but I figure using Mobil 1 and changing it at around 30%-20% on the OLM I'm better off for a longer engine life.

Whimsey

Looks like a decent report. Also looks like M1 is working good in that engine. Nice to know as I just put M1 5w-30 EP in my 2020 Ranger.

There is quite a discussion going on at the Ranger Forums about fuel in the oil of the 2.3L EB engines. Seems some folks there are having a real problem with it. Hopefully I dodge that bullet but we shall see. I sent off a UOA sample last week.

The timing chain on the 2.3 EB is no where near as long as on the V-6 3.5 EB, yet the oil quantity is the same, 5.7 quarts. Plus the Mobil 1 5W-30 is Dexos gen2 and has been for a while, that is timing chain friendly as I understand. Ford uses 10,000 mile in their OLM using Motorcraft 5W-30 synblend. All my oil changes were tracking to 10,000 miles using the OLM. Not that I trust Ford totally to ensure long life but I figure using Mobil 1 and changing it at around 30%-20% on the OLM I'm better off for a longer engine life.

Whimsey

I've only looked into the 2.7 and 3.5. Thanks for the info on the 2.3. I believe the 2.7 and 3.5 II's no longer have that one looong chain. Keep posting your UOA's please. A lot of us enjoy them.

Back