16 Triumph Bonneville Line Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Had a new T100 a few years ago. Great bike...very nice ride. Well balanced, smooth....fun.
Nice looking to!

That is really what Triumph makes. A good "all rounder" bike in the Bonnie. They don't excel in any one area, but they are good in all areas. A very well built standard that upgrades and customizes well.

The only thing I hate about them is I wish the ergos were a bit more friendly for us people over 5'10

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Had a new T100 a few years ago. Great bike...very nice ride. Well balanced, smooth....fun.
Nice looking to!

That is really what Triumph makes. A good "all rounder" bike in the Bonnie. They don't excel in any one area, but they are good in all areas. A very well built standard that upgrades and customizes well.

The only thing I hate about them is I wish the ergos were a bit more friendly for us people over 5'10

At 5'11", my T100 was very ergonomic. More so than probably any other bike I've ridden.

Triumph doesn't excel in any one area? Yes, perhaps true when you look at it that way. But because of the Triumph I owned, I learned that I really prefer a "standard" style bike and was foolish to think cruisers were my thing. So I think Triumph does the standard VERY well, maybe enough good enough to say that that is the area they excel in.

Nice looking to!

At 5'11", my T100 was very ergonomic. More so than probably any other bike I've ridden.

Triumph doesn't excel in any one area? Yes, perhaps true when you look at it that way. But because of the Triumph I owned, I learned that I really prefer a "standard" style bike and was foolish to think cruisers were my thing. So I think Triumph does the standard VERY well, maybe enough good enough to say that that is the area they excel in.

I am 6'1 and when I test rode a Bonnie, I had the opposite impression. Perhahps I am just a bit longer in the legs than in the torso. I went with the speedmaster to get less cramped of a ride. And yes they do the standard well, but the standard is sort of an "all around" bike in general. Little bit more sporty than cruisers usually, and a bit more casual than sports bikes.

Originally Posted By: Studebaker
Overweight, boring bike.

Coming from a guy who loves riding an under powered low speed Ural on the other thread, I would take this review with a grain of salt.

Overweight- 510 lbs. 90 lbs more than the classic Bonneville of the '70's.
Boring- Does everything okay, nothing exceptional.

Not saying it isn't a good bike, just that it is overweight and boring.
Much like a Toyota Camry is a good car, but boring.

The classic Bonnie of the 70s had less than 50% of the power. So these will be more spirited than those despite the weight.

What made the 70s Bonnies exciting was riding it and seeing if "The Prince of Darkness" would strike....or just like on all Brit bikes of the time, the lack of good brakes made stopping a real adventure.

They took the engine from a free-revving 865 to a big, slow 1200...judging by the torque figures. Water cooling. Huge radiator.

I'll reserve my real judgement for when all the specs come out, but all I see is a fatter bike with worse gas mileage and a less exciting engine.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
They took the engine from a free-revving 865 to a big, slow 1200...judging by the torque figures. Water cooling. Huge radiator.

I'll reserve my real judgement for when all the specs come out, but all I see is a fatter bike with worse gas mileage and a less exciting engine.

I lament the switch to liquid cooling. However, there are people that have built the 865cc into 1100 and even 1200cc engines that have kept them rev happy. I have not seen any bore and stroke info. It may be a short stroke and fat bore engine, and that would still be rather lively.

However, if I kill the 865 in mine I will just get a crate engine from Bonneville Performance instead of upgrading to the new ones. Some guys are getting around 130hp out of those.

They are claiming 36% better fuel economy.

I think the did a good job of hiding the water cooling and the Thruxton may make close to 100HP.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I am 62 years old love motorcycles. I haven't had a M/C since 2002 but have ridden friends a bit and had a couple of quads [Hate them] with the kids when they were little. I look at the motorcycles on the market always and I really couldn't decide on which to buy they are pretty much all wow. Besides I am at the point where I feel I am just too stupid to ride a M/C anymore. But then a GSX 1000 or a Ninja 1400 really tickle me. But then a KTM Cafe racer type puts a smile on my face Or a big twin, maybe a 3 cyl Yamaha. and a Harley 103 is really nice to cruise around on. Maybe a new Sportster, the mini bike for adults. ? How do you pick a bike these days?

I find what I like by riding as many different MCs as possible...that's how I ended up with my Rocket...

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Decent looking bikes. I like old styling. The biggest reason I ride a Harley is American made, but I like the styling about as much. It would def be one of the top of my list bikes I would own.

They're an American company, but they aren't American made...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Decent looking bikes. I like old styling. The biggest reason I ride a Harley is American made, but I like the styling about as much. It would def be one of the top of my list bikes I would own.

Assembled in the USA from a mish mash of foreign and domestic parts.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
They are claiming 36% better fuel economy.

I think the did a good job of hiding the water cooling and the Thruxton may make close to 100HP.

Well the old engines got around 50mpg at 865cc(I get around 54mpg on the highway at 55mph)....an additional 36% on a 1200cc is unlikely. Maybe on the base model with the 900cc engine. That has to do with the change to a 6 speed transmission I am betting more than than engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
I am 62 years old love motorcycles. I haven't had a M/C since 2002 but have ridden friends a bit and had a couple of quads [Hate them] with the kids when they were little. I look at the motorcycles on the market always and I really couldn't decide on which to buy they are pretty much all wow. Besides I am at the point where I feel I am just too stupid to ride a M/C anymore. But then a GSX 1000 or a Ninja 1400 really tickle me. But then a KTM Cafe racer type puts a smile on my face Or a big twin, maybe a 3 cyl Yamaha. and a Harley 103 is really nice to cruise around on. Maybe a new Sportster, the mini bike for adults. ? How do you pick a bike these days?

I find what I like by riding as many different MCs as possible...that's how I ended up with my Rocket...
Looking at all the makes and models I realize they are all really nice!

Where are they made?

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: troll

Where are they made?

Please don't feed (or quote) the trolls.

In other news, Jalopolink 2016 Triumph Bonneville T120 And T120 Black: An Old-School Icon Gets A Lustworthy New Motor claims weight essentially the same as the out going model.

Last edited:

Where are they made?

All over the world...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: troll

Where are they made?

Please don't feed (or quote) the trolls.

In other news, Jalopolink 2016 Triumph Bonneville T120 And T120 Black: An Old-School Icon Gets A Lustworthy New Motor claims weight essentially the same as the out going model.

I'm a troll because I stated a fact? If you don't like the facts, that's your problem...

Where are they made?

All over the world...

To put an end to this post for everyone, may I suggest anyone who says Harley is not American made, simply walk into any Harley Davidson dealership showroom in the United States of America and look at the manufacturing label on the bike.
Left side, lower frame near the front fork.
It will state, as exactly on my 2014 Road King "Union Made in the USA" case closed. Please do not try to justify stating otherwise with comments the components come from other countries etc, etc. Bottom line is the bike meets the requirements of Made in the USA, where other bikes (and ALL products from anything sold) can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back