‘16 Honda CRV oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there;

I changed the oil the other night on our CRV (at 5k oci) as it was getting dark out there I left the filter to drain upside down at the drain container. Today I got the delivery of oil filter cutter, one of those basic ones, so I decided to cut the filter but in vain. I couldn't do it for some reason, too strong or inconvenient, so in the process I took the filter and I've noticed this, a small aluminum shaving on it, very thin and easily crumbled; I was surprised by it. Like I said, I tried to cut the filter but now I've find another way to cut it open and take a closer look

Have someone had such experience before

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Never mind, I have managed to open somehow the filter after posting a question here; although it is hard to explain a piece of shaving at the top of the filter, examining the filter closely I was a very pleased with findings inside

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by miden851
in the process I took the filter and I've noticed this, a small aluminum shaving on it, very thin and easily crumbled; I was surprised by it.

It was likely left lodged somewhere and has been "along for the ride" this whole time until it finally broke loose.

Brittle = cast aluminum (from the valve cover, timing cover, etc)

I thank you all guys!

Yes it was a brittle aluminum piece, size 1/4'' if that;

I drained the oil and cut this filter and no strange traces found in both; go figure
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Was that the first oil change? I see this is a Nippon Denso filter rather than a Fram Blue Can service part.

Thanks!

I noticed this too. This filter looks MUCH better! Op,were did you buy this filter?

I got it of eBay

[Linked Image]

I'm sure there is always somebody that sells these; just get A01 serial vs A02 that's a Fram model

Honestly it is my first time to open SUCH filter, assuming it's structure this could easily go to 10K OCI

The metal shaving was left over from the engine manufacturing process. The metal shaving didn't quite make it past the filter inlet hole and ADBV. The filter did its job, it stopped debris from entering the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back