'16 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost P0236

Any Ford experts out there?
Friend of mine's Fusion has started acting out, going into a reduced power mode with a rough idle and low power (no boost)
It's a 2016 Fusion Titanium, 2.0 Ecoboost AWD, about 60k on it
Taken care of and driven sensibly, I'd like to think the turbo itself is still healthy?
If I clear the codes I can get one or two pulls out of it and it feels fine, let it sit or restart and you get warning lights and no power
I've made checks of the obvious, and the turbo solenoid (BL3Z-9K378-A) on the valve cover was replaced with a new part from Ford ($40)
That concludes the parts cannon :unsure:
Freeze frame has me a little puzzled, as it's happening at time since engine start 0 seconds
That seems a little early to me?
photo_2022-01-01_03-06-01.jpg

My next guess would be one or both of the MAP/CAC boost sensors, as there's a TSB for this failure on earlier model years
Yet this one's a 2016 🤔
Same part numbers tho, we verified under the hood
As this car's got to pass NYS inspection, and that won't happen with a CEL
Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated
Happy new year

photo_2022-01-01_03-06-48.jpg

photo_2022-01-01_03-06-54.jpg

Try the Plugs. My 2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost's plugs needed replacing at around the same mileage with the same lack of power and no codes.

PO236 is a boost pressure sensor code, find the sensor and clean it.

Update, new Motorcraft TCBP/CACT (in CAC) and MAP (on intake manifold) both installed

Problem resolved

Check engine and wrench light out, turbo now providing full boost

Drivability much improved

Will still get a thorough service in the spring, with Plugs/air/cabin filters, full syn oil change, etc

The CAC had mild salt crusties on the connector, makes sense it being lower down near the ground

So that TSB was onto something, despite not covering my year, yet containing the correct part numbers where the VIN catalog was wrong 🤷‍♂️

People in Ford parts (bdcardinal) I salute you 🖖

Do these Fusions have the condensation in the intercooler issue that the 3.5 EB in F150s do?

Should I drill a small drainage hole in the Intercooler anyway?

Update, new Motorcraft TCBP/CACT (in CAC) and MAP (on intake manifold) both installed

Problem resolved

Check engine and wrench light out, turbo now providing full boost

Drivability much improved

Will still get a thorough service in the spring, with Plugs/air/cabin filters, full syn oil change, etc

The CAC had mild salt crusties on the connector, makes sense it being lower down near the ground

So that TSB was onto something, despite not covering my year, yet containing the correct part numbers where the VIN catalog was wrong 🤷‍♂️

People in Ford parts (bdcardinal) I salute you 🖖

Do these Fusions have the condensation in the intercooler issue that the 3.5 EB in F150s do?

Should I drill a small drainage hole in the Intercooler anyway?
No, they do not have the same issue like the 3.5EB in the F150

Back