16" bike recommendation for a three year old

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking for a recommendation for a 16" bike for my three year old grandson (will get the bike on his fourth birthday). He is smaller than most boys his age.

He has had a pedals-less bike since 14 months old and loves it.

This boy loves anything with wheels. I am in desire of a quality bike. The bike will not have a need for training wheels on it.

This is what I would get if I was blessed to have a son or grandson for the quality and see me, don't run over me loud color:

Raleigh makes a better kids bike than Trek or Cannondale at the pricepoint.

Reactions: GON
Not sure that a 4 year old (who is small for his age) will fit on a 16" bike. You sure about that ? A 12" might make more sense but don't spend too much money 'cause he'll still outgrow it in 1-2 seasons. He might be able to move to an 18-20" then but will again outgrow it in a year or two. Same reason it's silly buying young kids expensive "sneakers" except to hand them down to a sibling or someone you know 'cause they'll still be in almost-brand new condition.

Not sure that a 4 year old (who is small for his age) will fit on a 16" bike. You sure about that ? A 12" might make more sense but don't spend too much money 'cause he'll still outgrow it in 1-2 seasons. He might be able to move to an 18-20" then but will again outgrow it in a year or two. Same reason it's silly buying young kids expensive "sneakers" except to hand them down to a sibling or someone you know 'cause they'll still be in almost-brand new condition.
Hall,

Thanks. I agree with your observation 16" seems too big. Daughter said 16".... I may get both, a used 12" and then the 16". My oldest Grandson is three, my youngest Grandson turned one earlier this month. So the sibling hand down is very easy and feasible.

16 inch you can get either those Walmart / Target bike for $80 or so (all the same other than style), or look for sales on aluminum frame bike from bike shop for about $250-300. It is lighter but it may not be necessary.

You should let him try a few to see which one works best. I think for 3 year old 16 might be on the high side, but with training wheel it will be ok. Since you have 2 grand sons get the 12" first then just pass down and get another 16" later.

These are great but expensive. You did say quality and it would actually work out since there's more than one kid.

This is what I would get if I was blessed to have a son or grandson for the quality and see me, don't run over me loud color:

Raleigh makes a better kids bike than Trek or Cannondale at the pricepoint.
Something like this, with some dual purpose tires. This bike also seems to have reasonably low gearing so they can climb some hills. Lots of kids bikes have/had crazy tall gears so 1st isn't low enough to climb a hill. Also you should be able to set up the brakes well enough for one or two finger braking with v-brakes. The real fun starts with the 20" tire mountain bikes, then they can ride any terrain.

Concur with the thoughts that a 16" is probably too big for a 3 year old. My 5 year old rode a balance bike for a few years, hopped on a pedal bike this spring and was off (no one ever taught him how to ride a bike). We got him a 16" bike, picked up an REI Co-op Rev 16. It's a good, aluminum framed bike, much nicer than the $100 Walmart/Target/etc type bikes. They're $230 new but we got one via OfferUp for $90. I am a big fan of buying used for kids when it's stuff they're not going to use for long.

jeff

One month away from the birthday party. Trying to buy a Raleigh Rowdy 16 in the Denver area....... no success as of yet. Amazon not listing any, and Raleigh's own website says out of stock :{

I'd go with a bike with 14" wheels for a four-year-old. I would avoid fat tires. Expect having to get a bigger bike every two years.

Under duress from Wife to get this done.... bug duress.... so purchased this 16" bike with belt drive. Has decent reviews, some in depth, yet appears to have to flaws. The rear brake is hard to engage, and the position of the handle bars. SHortages of stuff includes kids bike I discovered.

Amazon had numerous promotions on this bike, so about $250 delivered.

BELSIZE 16-Inch Belt-Drive Kid's Bike, Lightweight Aluminium Alloy Bicycle(only 12.57 lbs) for 3-7 Years Old

I'd go with a bike with 14" wheels for a four-year-old. I would avoid fat tires. Expect having to get a bigger bike every two years.
Pulled the trigger on a 16" before your post..... very good suggestion..... was not seeing 14" in stock.....

OIP.f7M732D2nQ1BqzSamOD4ggHaE6
maybe one of these . 😊

Yeah - a 16" is way to big for a smaller than average 4 year old. I frankly got my kid a 12" Huffy brand new for less than $40 although I was kind of regretting it because I don't consider them that safe.

But I find REI has some pretty good bargains.

If you don't really want a house brand, then Specialized kids bikes are pretty nice. My kid rides one although we bought it used pretty darn cheap because it has some weird cosmetic issues but otherwise rides well. But the latest single speed bikes they have are the Riprock series. Ignore the default pink - it comes in four different colors.

Thanks for all the input/ recommendations.

Bike was given to the Grandson at his birthday Saturday.

Bike seems made well, aluminum frame makes it real light, nice to have the belt drive over a chain drive. Assembly was very easy and all required tools came with the bike.

Grandson was able to ride on his own after just a few minutes, likely due to having a pedaless bike which he spent a lot of tome pn for the past 18 months.
PXL_20211019_122727273.jpg
PXL_20211019_122737301.jpg

Back