15w50 and ambient temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first post after many months of lurking...

I was a Ford Technician working in Perth Western Australia way back when the AU series was launched, and I've owned a lots of Falcons over the years. Rest assured, they aren't fussy about oil! 15w50 won't worry the old girl in the slightest.

I've run 20w50 in my current AU, and even on frosty Tassie mornings, she fired up straight away, with no knocks or rattles.

You'll be fine!

In Australia, I've come to the conclusion just about any oil will do. 15w-40 is just fine, most 20w-50 are getting old in the tooth now with suppliers keeping them with old specs on the shelves.

I like dino shell 15w-40.

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in all my classic cars ; Shelby's, HiPo Mustangs, and misc. Triumphs and XKE's. They are driven in temperatures ranging from 10 to 110 F. In the Fords I'm using a high volume Melling oil pump and have a minimum of 75 psi oil hot pressure above 2,000 rpm. No oiling issues, and no measurable wear anywhere in the engines after many tens of thousands of miles. I always let the engines warm up to full operating temp. Before driving .

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back