15w40 for GA winter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 04 Discovery with a 4.6L that was derived from a Buick 215. I've been researching the best oil to use in the vehicle and found that since the engine design is over 40 years old and was designed for a 40-50 weight oil that a 15w40 would be the best to use since it has flat tappets.
I normally get a lot of noise when I first start the engine after its been sitting a while, most say is normal for the engine I don't like it. I change the oil every 3k mostly because my commute to work is about 16miles. I'd like to try shell Rotella 15w40 or Delo 15w40 but don't want to hear that much racket from the valve train now that its cold. I figure the noise might be worse with at 15w40 than a 10w40. I tried GC (0w30) for a short while during the summer. There was almost no noise at idle but the valve train noise at operating temperature when I accelerated did not make me feel comfortable.
The lowest temp we have seen so far here is about 32 degrees. Would the 15w40 flow well at this temp or if it gets colder than that?
I also heard that the shell may "stick" to the engine components better after the engine has been shut down. If it does I'm thinking that the 15w40 might not be so bad.
I've also considered Castrol Syntec 5W50 but don't know what affect it will have on gas mileage once warm as it's not that great to begin with. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

What makes you think the engine was designed for a 40-50 weight oil? Factory fill in GM engines in the late 50s and early 60s was 20w20 and by the mid to late 60s was 10w30.

Nevertheless, 15w40 should be fine year round in your area. You can safely use 15w40 down to 15F without problems.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
What makes you think the engine was designed for a 40-50 weight oil? Factory fill in GM engines in the late 50s and early 60s was 20w20 and by the mid to late 60s was 10w30.

Nevertheless, 15w40 should be fine year round in your area. You can safely use 15w40 down to 15F without problems.

Got it from reading this thread.
http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98124

I'm about to go to Sam's and see what they have.

Does a thinner oil get up to operating temp quicker? like a 10w30 warms up quiker than a 10w40.

Manual states 10w40 or 10w30.

Originally Posted By: DevilDisco

Got it from reading this thread.
http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98124

Yeah, well...the guy is wrong.

One of the HM oils (either Castrol or Valvoline) in 10w40 would be a good choice for you.

I've used Valvoline HM 10w30 in another vehicle and I did like it. It always seemed to run smoother and I could always tell when I did not put it in. I'll stick with one of these.

Can I use the ARX maint does with these?

I've found rotella 15w40 to be a "quiet" oil in GM engines both street and marine. I think it'd be a safe try.

OTOH, I have found that thinner gpIII's have been noticeably quieter than thicker dino's in my jeep.

Valve train noise is not indicative of a problem. Experiment with oils, sure, but don't drain any of it early if you can manage. I know it's hard... mine sounds like bb's in a food processor with certain oils.

Mike

...I've also considered Castrol Syntec 5W50 but don't know what affect it will have on gas mileage once warm as it's not that great to begin with. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think the 5w-50 would be the most interesting choice. It wouldn't hurt anything to try. Might have a positive affect on MPG and H.P.

Hey G-Man, I don't mean to quibble with an otherwise well-reasoned post, but where do you get the 15F figure from? Looking at the API charts, an engine on 15W40 should start safely and easily down to -4F.

- Scott

Originally Posted By: Towel_Rail
Hey G-Man, I don't mean to quibble with an otherwise well-reasoned post, but where do you get the 15F figure from? Looking at the API charts, an engine on 15W40 should start safely and easily down to -4F.

What API charts?

Among manufacturers, 15F is pretty much considered the minimum for 15w40.

Originally Posted By: Towel_Rail

What API charts?

Among manufacturers, 15F is pretty much considered the minimum for 15w40.

Um, the J300?
wink.gif
I don't know if it's CYA or CAFE, but even cheap oils can do a lot better than the manufacturer's recommendations would indicate.

- Scott

My dad has used Mystik 15w-50 in his 89 Ford F-350 7.3 year round in Georgia. It does struggle to start (warm and cold), but it's a big pile of s*** that hasn't had an oil change in ages, as well as other issues that he won't fix, which probably explains it.

I'd like to try shell Rotella 15w40 or Delo 15w40 but don't want to hear that much racket from the valve train now that its cold. I figure the noise might be worse with at 15w40 than a 10w40.

Go for it.
As "G-man" mentioned 15w-40 in general is safe to down to at least 15 degrees F., and the new CJ-4 versions have even better cold flow properties due to the higher quality base stock oils used.

In fact, a good 15w-40 is probably the equivalent of 10w-30
passenger car oil at cold temps.
12.gif

I saw the 3-gallon boxes at Sam's for about about $26. I've heard that the Shell Rotella 15w40 actually sticks to engine components after shut down, which might help with the noise at startup. While trying to find out I ran across Royal purple that also says the same thing and an article on their sight says that thier 10W40 actually polish the metal, removing rough surfaces, they used some kind of bearing test.
Also would a 5w50 have any negative affects on oil pressure, perhaps too much? The more I try to find answers the more confused I get. I as about the 5w50 because I have a quart of Castrol Syntec 5W50 in the garage I don't want to go to waste, as well as a half quart of GC. I don't think its a good idea to mix oils but I'd like to use them up.
The shell is looking good but I just realized that I have a free oil change coming from the garage I normally take my vehicle to for oil changes. They don't carry 10W40, they had to special order it last time, and I got bent over last oil change for it too. I think I paid as much for Castrol 10W40GTX as I did for my GC,doing the oil change myself. They would put in a 10w30. They say they carry Shell on tap (I don't think they even know what kind), and they use more 10W30 so they get it in bulk.
Of course I would be putting in 3oz of ARX, with the next oil change since I'm in the rinse phase. Should I take the free oil change or bring my Rotella 15w40 with me?

Any time anyone mentions a bearing test just ignore the results. Much like the Lucas oil egg beater test its just not an accurate test of what actually happens inside an engine.

Yes, 15W40 will work just fine as will RTS 5W40. I ran M1 15W50 for year's in Ga. year round in a 1986 Toyota 4Runner. Prior to going synthetic it was Castrol GTX 20W50 year round... It get's down to 32 once in a while and by noon it is up to 70°F. I lived in Ft. Benning Ga. and Ft. Stewart Ga.!!! Now personely I would run RTS 5W40 at $16 a gallon from Walmart and leave it in their at least 6 months at a time with no worries and if it used any just top it off with 15W40.Oh I had a Ford Tempo that I ran Castrol 5W50 in year round and it loved that!

You are correct that engine traditionaly does well on 40Wt. oils!Just like the old Jeep I6 4.0 usualy does well on 40Wt. oils!That is common knoldge even if other oil viscosities will work fine as well.

I ran 15W40 in 20 degree weather in my 9-5 (2.3l turbo) with no noticeable difference in fuel economy or starting.... Wouldn't be my FIRST choice, but.....
12.gif

I'm trying the 15w40, so far it's been good, but it hasn't gotten that cold. Valve train noise doesn't sound as harsh either. I splurged from some Royal Purple. It was on sale by the gallon at O'reily's. 30 weight anything in this engine makes it sound like a bag of bottle caps at start up. I'v tried 0w, 5W, 10W30. 15w40 seems like a winner for now even if I can't splurge for RP all the time. Engine just seems smoother overall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back