155/70R13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone make this size in a brand I have actually heard of? All I have found is stuff like "Sunny" and "Hi-Fly".

Sooo...you drive a Matiz ?
smile.gif

What are you trying to find them for in the US?

There are a few new cars on the market that use 14'' sizes. Haven't seen too many 13'' cars lately.

I was able to find the Vredestein Quatrac 3 in the size 155/70-13

They are made in the Netherlands. Vredestein is a relatively small Dutch tire company, virtually guaranteed to be better than any Chinese tire you've already seen in your size.

EDIT: I see that you said they're for a motorcycle. That's completely different. You should've stated that in your OP.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Not for a car...darksiding a motorcycle.

Jarlaxle,
can you get the mods to change your thread title?
also this year there where some members that posted a lot of pictures about their decades old motorcycle hobbies?
maybe search and contact them?

good luck.

P.S. good to have you back. this is the Jar we love.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

They are made in the Netherlands. Vredestein is a relatively small Dutch tire company, virtually guaranteed to be better than any Chinese tire you've already seen in your size.

EDIT: I see that you said they're for a motorcycle. That's completely different. You should've stated that in your OP.

Why? It's still a 155/70R13, regardless of what it goes on!

Err...what the heck WOULD use a tire that small, anyway?

WARNING:

I do NOT recommend using passenger car tires in place of motorcycle tires. Someone could be killed and I don't want to be a part of this.

Just so everyone understands:

What Jarlaxle is asking about is applying a passenger car tire to a motorcycle - commonly called "darkside". Passenger car tires are significantly less expensive than motorcycle tires and generally wear better. I don't know if anyone has tested the traction differences.

But there are 2 problems here:

There is a minor problem of the shape of the tire tread - flat vs round. I seen a few discussions on that point and it seems to boil down to folks who want this to work, have ridden on these and claim it works, but there doesn't appear to have been any definitive (as in blind testing) by an independent party (as far as I have seen).

But the bigger issue is the differences in rims.

Motorcycle rims are sized a bit larger than passenger car tires. No, I don't mean the difference between 13" and 14". I mean the difference in actual rim diameter of 13" rims (and 14", 15" etc.)

13" passenger car rims are actually 12.968". 13" Motorcycle rims are actually 13.079". That means the bead has to be stretched in order to fit.

But the real problem is in mounting - getting the tire to seat by going over the safety humps (popping the bead).

There is real danger here as tires have a lot of potential energy in compressed air. People have been killed when the tires have exploded during mounting.

Unfortunately, the warning signs are there - and they are being ignored. There is a website somewhere that lists people's experiences with mounting "darkside" tires and the use of HUGE pressures to get the beads to seat - and sometimes failures. There's even a list of tires that people have had problems with.

I quit commenting and quit watching these "darkside" websites after seeing these reports as i didn't want to be in the position to have to defend a lawsuit knowing these things are going on. The legal principle is "failure to warn" - and while there are warnings, they are being ignored.

So I will say this again.

I do NOT recommend using passenger car tires in place of motorcycle tires. Someone could be killed and I don't want to be a part of this.

Last edited:
I'm not doing it (my Qlink's rear tire is a tiny 120/90-10!), it's for someone on another forum. He darksided his Burgman 650 & has 50,000+ miles on it since...now, he's looking to do the same for a Burgman 400.

My mother's friend darksided his Goldwing because he was sick of coughing up $300+ for a new rear tire every 6-7,000 miles!

And the problem is, the people who want to try a thing as stupid as putting a car tire on a motorcycle, for some reason cannot be convinced to not do it...

I've put about 135,000 miles on two different Goldwings. Yes, I know. That's more than some people, less than others.

But my point, I rode a Goldwing that was the same model as my current one, with a car tire on the back. After about three miles, I was ready to pull it off onto the shoulder, and let the owner come and get it.

It also makes me wonder, if there was an accident involving a motorcycle with such an obviously unapproved piece of equipment, if the insurance company would resist in paying on the claim, and cite negligence by the owner.

Don't think that an insurance company wouldn't jump at the chance of getting out of paying a claim.

Does anyone make this size in a brand I have actually heard of? All I have found is stuff like "Sunny" and "Hi-Fly".

Michelin lists the Defender in that size with a 90k mile warranty.

The only car that I am aware of that used this size was the Suzuki Swift circa '91-94.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Why? It's still a 155/70R13, regardless of what it goes on!

Err...what the heck WOULD use a tire that small, anyway?

My 1987 Dodge Omni uses 165-75r 13.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Not for a car...darksiding a motorcycle.

Jarlaxle,
can you get the mods to change your thread title?
also this year there where some members that posted a lot of pictures about their decades old motorcycle hobbies?
maybe search and contact them?

good luck.

P.S. good to have you back. this is the Jar we love.
Most motorcyclists think using a car tire on the back of a motorcycle is the height of folly and will have nothing to do with it.

The one exception is that a few cold weather riders are buying winter tires as moto tires arent designed for cold temps. I put mine away as soon as the road salt comes out, usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back