15% ethanol in fuels in 2010???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: severach
E10 is available locally and the most accurate method I've found is to fill with 4 gallons then run the tank until the fuel level is below the float and can't move the needle on slow corners. 120 miles for 30 MPG 1994 Grand Am 2.3L SOHC 3 speed auto 50/50 city/highway repeats very accurately. Unfortunately 2%-4% is the distance between where the tank needle stops moving and where I notice it to pull another 4 gallon tank from the back seat.

E10 washed to ~E0.5+water may have improved MPG a tiny bit but it didn't make up for the discarded fuel and the stinky work to get it. The separation step of the E10 wash is a challenge that currently selling gas cans won't be able to perform. The only way I have to get rid of all that ethanol+water is to burn it.

E0 is not available locally so I picked up five 5 gallon containers. I blew the lines and drained the tank to remove all E10. After two expensive 5 gallons tanks with the same MPG I left the other 3 sit for another time. Small engines don't run like [censored] with pure gasoline.

My very clean and well tuned engines lose little from E0 to E10. Before they get clean 10% loss is normal. I still vote against E10 because though I can minimize its losses, other than the lucky few, the general public won't so on the whole we use more petroleum fuel with E10 than we would if it was all E0. At best we're paying ethanol producers to do nothing. I shouldn't need to run my add pack all the time and maintain better than new engine condition so E10 for me can almost match what E0 does for everyone.

For E15 I expect 15% snake oil to produce an average 15% loss and boost peak losses beyond 30% but the EPA won't see this in testing because they will be supplied engines like mine where the loss is tiny. I can't wait to see what E96 does.

I have no clue what you are talking about ???

most car companys mandate no more than 10% so how can the epa mandate 2010 to be E15? i tried E20 in my 2009 Honda CRV and it set off check engine light..
frown.gif
so idk

Originally Posted By: Russell

Washing E10 was suggested. I've compared E10, washed E10 or E0.5, and E0 and my engines seem to get the same MPG on each.

Washing E10 was suggested. I've compared E10, washed E10 or E0.5, and E0 and my engines seem to get the same MPG on each.

what is "washing" fuel?

I didn't coin the term. I interpreted washing E10 to be using water to remove the ethanol.

Yeah, add enough water until the ethanol seperates and then siphon it off. (and throw it away)

You also have to keep in mind they use ethanol to make the octane - so 87 octane gas with the ethanol "washed" out, is less than 87 octane.

Upping to E15 is not the solution (what are they thinking!!), but neither was MTBE with its public water health reasons (oops sorry people guess we really goofed on that one). Least it's not Methanol being forced down our fuel tank throats.

Mandated Ethanol mix in general...never in my dreams thought I'd also be paying for water while fueling up. Amazing world we live in....

I live in Iowa and I think ethanol is just a way to blow more govt cash on subsidies, make food more expensive, and to be harder on cars.

I only run Ethanol gas in the winter since it removes my need for adding HEET.

Originally Posted By: Mau
start using shell vpower...0% ethanol :p
Not here in Kentucky. Appears that all fuel is E10.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
sounds like the worst idea i've heard since 10 percent ethanol.

+1

That would be just awful...All our 4.6 engines took a hit with the 10% corn juice with mileage...I could only imagine what 15% would do.

I think Kentucky got 10% ethanol this summer. My economy seems to have dropped, all at once, about 6-10% since mid 2009. Especially this this winter when compared to previous winters. I keep records. :)

FYI, my BMW has fresh plugs, new ox sensor, recent air and fuel filter. Also new knock sensors. Independent shop can find no mechanical issues. Power seesm fine and runs smoothly and uses no oil. Go figure, may be ethanol. Not sure. even more afraidd of e15 even with no running problems. Rant over

Last edited:
I think Kentucky got 10% ethanol this summer. My economy seems to have dropped, all at once, about 6-10% since mid 2009. Especially this this winter when compared to previous winters. I keep records. :)

FYI, my BMW has fresh plugs, new ox sensor, recent air and fuel filter. Also new knock sensors. Independent shop can find no mechanical issues. Power seesm fine and runs smoothly and uses no oil. Go figure, may be ethanol. Not sure. even more afraidd of e15 even with no running problems. Rant over

It is the Ethonol...All our cars took a hit of 6%-10%...It happened as soon as the Ethonol hit the pumps about 2 and half years ago.

Florida must have been one of the first states to get the corn juice.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
sounds like the worst idea i've heard since 10 percent ethanol.

+1

That would be just awful...All our 4.6 engines took a hit with the 10% corn juice with mileage...I could only imagine what 15% would do.

I am so glad to hear i`m not the only one that notices bad millage on this [censored]! Every time i tell people my millage drop`s during winter time,or with this corn juice. They looka at me like I have 4 arms or something!

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

It is the Ethonol...All our cars took a hit of 6%-10%...It happened as soon as the Ethonol hit the pumps about 2 and half years ago.

Florida must have been one of the first states to get the corn juice.

My truck used to get 17.4MPG on average before ethanol. After FL went to 10% ethanol, it gets 16.5MPG.

At the time I couldn't figure out what was going on. I did all kinds of stuff trying to get my mileage back up, but nothing worked and then it finally hit me.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Mau
start using shell vpower...0% ethanol :p

Not here in KY. I believe all fuel has 10% ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back