15,697mi Amsoil 30wDiesel ACD'06 Grand Prix LS4 v8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blakeinspace

That's what I am talking about! 90mph cruising! where do I sign up!?
(I see your Canadian... so I figure you meant kph... ha!)

... but I dream of a heaven with no speed limits. As a matter of fact... I have a pic of me on vacation in Colorado where I actually got out and hugged the 75mph speed limit sign on the Interstate.

No, I really did mean 90 mph cruising (i.e. 140-145 km/h). Yes, I am breaking the law, along with everyone else on our only toll highway -- the one that actually moves during rush hour (every other highway is pretty much stopped - bumper to bumper). I'm still amazed at how the toll highway can be filled with cars, but still move at 140 km/h! I'm not complaining either!!!

If my car burned oil at 90 km/h, you better believe I'd be upset! But at 140 km/h, the engine turns at nearly 3,500 RPM. So a bit of consumption is forgivable at that point!

Actually, in all seriousness, we do have 65 mph speed limits on all major highways, nothing higher. But the "understood" limit is usually no less than 75 mph, and people rarely get caught for it. Most cops are looking for people doing 150 km/h and more, in which case they get to take their car away and also get to slap a gigantic fine on them.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

My little tractor with a 1.3L diesel engine holds 6 quarts of oil. My 1.6L gasser only holds 3.5 quarts. If I could double the capacity of my gasser I should be able to go 30k miles rather then the 15k I can do.

that, and the other explantion above explains it nicely.

Thanks Sirs! see y'all in about 17,000 miles!

Quote:
Actually, in all seriousness, we do have 65 mph speed limits on all major highways, nothing higher. But the "understood" limit is usually no less than 75 mph, and people rarely get caught for it. Most cops are looking for people doing 150 km/h and more, in which case they get to take their car away and also get to slap a gigantic fine on them.

Most of our highways are regulated loosely. I-95 is a speed limit sign conditions permitting. Traffic density usually limits the speeds. If you can manage 75mph bumper to bumper ..that's usually what traffic is moving at. If it's getting backed up at the end of the road ...you are still bumper to bumper ..but now at 40mph.

Enforcement is predatory and opportunistic unless there's some campaign in progress. Every time someone has a major accident you'll see a string of traffic stops to reign people in with paranoia. It' lasts for a bit.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Running 2 quarts low will have WAYYYYY more detrimental effect.

Keep it full.
thumbsup2.gif

Couldn't agree more! What's wrong with adding a couple quarts of good ol' ON SALE 10W-30 along the way, as needed, to keep the oil at its proper level? I can understand the reluctance to add two quarts of AMSOIL at the end of a 15K run, but not driving the car with enough oil?

The change in the NUMBERS will, somehow, be worse than the effect of driving with low oil levels for Who knows? how long?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back