140,000 miles on Mobil 1, a few undercover pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: aztec12
It sure makes me want to try Mobil1 for sure
it looks brand new!!

+1
Does anybody here think that Motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic can do the same thing with reasonable miles 0CI's?

i think so

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
Whats the reason for tearing into the motor?

Passenger side cam cover weepage, I decided to pull the cover to fix it. It took some creative maneuvering and lighting to get those pics. You can see there's 3 different color drop lights trying to light that area up.
LOL.gif

See? Synthetics DO cause engine oil leaks!!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
Whats the reason for tearing into the motor?

Passenger side cam cover weepage, I decided to pull the cover to fix it. It took some creative maneuvering and lighting to get those pics. You can see there's 3 different color drop lights trying to light that area up.
LOL.gif

See? Synthetics DO cause engine oil leaks!!
wink.gif

Actually, I have to agree with that statement. When I bought the Mustang and started putting M1 in it, after only two weeks, both valve covers were basically pouring oil. Cork gaskets though.

Thats weird becuase the first time I put Syn in an engine the engine totally disentegrated the moment I started pouring it in.

Originally Posted By: talker
Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
Originally Posted By: aztec12
It sure makes me want to try Mobil1 for sure
it looks brand new!!

+1
Does anybody here think that Motorcraft 5w20 full synthetic can do the same thing with reasonable miles 0CI's?

i think so

I showed a picture of one that everyone ignored. The image wasn't filled with cam lobes ..but a clean motor none the less. Various unremarkable oils over its lifetime (albeit shorter than 140k).

The way I take these kind of postings not like, Wow this particualr oil rocks!, but more like well, OK, that's probably a good oil to use too...so I guess it's not off my list. No problems that I can see.
And that's a good thing because I like choices.

Good pics.. Looks the same (as far as I can tell) under the valvecover of my dads car, using MOSTLY mobil1 since new. It now sees GC regularly, but for around 80k miles (it has about 100k miles now) it was using M1. Looks spotless in there, and car runs like new still. (it's almost 10 years old)

I wouldn't worry about using M1 at all... I used it for years in my own cars too. I just like experimenting more now :)

Originally Posted By: Loobed

That is truly amazing and unbelievable. And I emphasize "unbelievable." I am not calling you a liar, but I have never seen an engine that clean (on the top end) unless it was almost new. I have also never seen an engine run almost completely on synthetic so that may be why I find it unbelievable.

I have seen an oldsmobile 350 with over 300K that clean. A friend owns a shop and one of his long time customers brought the car in wanting the engine rebuilt. He said after 300K it has to need a rebiuld. He was the original owner of the car and ran mobil 1 in it from day one.

Well long story short..... engine comes out and when we started to tear it down the entire thing was spotless to the point you could eat off of it. The bores still had factory cross hatches and no taper and no ridges at the tops. The bearings looked almost brand new and the pistons showed no wear. The rings didnt even have much of any gunk built up on them. Once informed the customer came over to take a look and agreed to just put it back together because it looked so good.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

That is truly amazing and unbelievable. And I emphasize "unbelievable." I am not calling you a liar, but I have never seen an engine that clean (on the top end) unless it was almost new. I have also never seen an engine run almost completely on synthetic so that may be why I find it unbelievable.

I have seen an oldsmobile 350 with over 300K that clean. A friend owns a shop and one of his long time customers brought the car in wanting the engine rebuilt. He said after 300K it has to need a rebiuld. He was the original owner of the car and ran mobil 1 in it from day one.

Well long story short..... engine comes out and when we started to tear it down the entire thing was spotless to the point you could eat off of it. The bores still had factory cross hatches and no taper and no ridges at the tops. The bearings looked almost brand new and the pistons showed no wear. The rings didnt even have much of any gunk built up on them. Once informed the customer came over to take a look and agreed to just put it back together because it looked so good.

My 302 is like that.

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

I've known many people that use M1 oils and many of them have driven their rides for 250 to 350,000 miles and to a person they all say their engines stay very clean. I've seen it with my own engines for 31 years now. I'm wondering how long my Merc. will go.

Where I feel M1 shines is on a cold engine. Much better than dinos. All this talk of sludge and dino oils is making my $12 jug of 15W50 look better and better.

I have been using Mobil One for 31 days so far no problem, looked into the oil cap area and it is really clean and the springs are still there.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
Mobil 1 (purchased in WM 5 quart jugs) is a steal. Why look for anything else?

I agree,it`s a helluva bargain!

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
looked into the oil cap area and it is really clean and the springs are still there.

It makes you wonder if anything else is used those spings might disappear....I guess i better stop using GC then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back